Review by zhenya_reads -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zhenya_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhenya-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by zhenya_reads -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by zhenya_reads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science-fiction and fantasy novel that reads like a typical historical fiction novel.

In the private book description, the author kindly disclosed that this is an introductory novel to a series that will ultimately consist of 9 books. The reader might feel like the story is lacking some kind of plot while its main purpose is to lay out the grounds of the story and the world the author envisioned. It's good to have this in mind while reading.

The story focuses on Galen, who is traveling to Voulhire to meet his dying uncle. As he arrives the uncle has already passed away so Galen is met with his uncle's executor Rowan. While Galen is adjusting to the new world and discovering what his uncle has left for him, the reader is introduced to a lot of history about Voulhire and its previous leaders. One legend that is brought up in almost every chapter is the supposed death of lord Meldorath, a powerful mage who used his magic for horrible things. I can only imagine how this legend develops in the sequels.

One thing that I did find a bit annoying was the fact that there were many characters and I found it hard to remember all of their names and their stories. I would find it extremely helpful if there was a list of all the characters and their descriptions at the beginning of the novel. That would make my experience reading this much more enjoyable.

As I already mentioned the book introduces us to a completely new world which, naturally, makes it quite slow-paced. I love novels like this. I feel like too much action often takes away from the story and the characters. In this book, the author lets the characters and the history of Voulhire speak for themselves.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The style of writing is descriptive and mysterious yet gripping. It made it hard for me to put the book down. It was also obvious that the book was professionally edited. I would recommend it to every fantasy lover that wants to discover a new world of legends and mysteries and I would even go as far as to say that I also recommend it to every historical fiction lover, who is looking for something new.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”