Review by Zainabreadsnow -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by Zainabreadsnow -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is an incredible fantasy novel. It starts with a story set in the past. Emperor Lullabies has four sons. Each of them wishes to rule their father’s kingdom and is ready to kill for the throne. Emperor Lullabies decides on a solution. He divides the land and gives each of his sons a separate island where they will be kings. This, however, does not resolve the matter and the land erupts in constant wars. The story cuts to a few years later and we are introduced to the protagonist; Galen Bray. Galen lives in one of these disputed areas and has lived a harsh life. He learns of his uncle’s demise and sets out for Voulhire to collect his inheritance. He makes a pact to call Vouhlire home and find a new life in the new land.

We learn about the magical land of Voulhire through the eyes of Galen Bray. As Galen becomes an invested citizen of the new land, we learn more about this fantasy world created by Matthew Tysz. Matthew Tysz is an exceptional world-builder. He includes minute details and historical facts about the land of Voulhire that get the readers interested and retain a sense of reality.

The land of Voulhire is ruled by King Wilhelm Arcolo. A majority of the plot is a result of militant groups who wish to take over the land of Voulhire. The plot includes a lot of magic and violence. Dalehei Meldorath, one of the villains, is an influential mage. There is also a threat of a civil uprising because a group called Riva Rohavi wishes to eliminate the power of magic as it is seen as a symbol of wealth. These social politics that are talked about through the analogy of magic are my favorite part of the novel. I think younger readers will be able to understand important social issues through these analogies.

There wasn’t anything in the book that I disliked. The book was very well edited. I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It has done an excellent job of creating a new fantasy world with exciting themes. The book is a little bit too descriptive. There seems to be very little plot but as this is the first installment of nine books, I am sure that this is done in order to create a firm background for the story to progress on.

I would recommend this book to all fantasy lovers. It is bound to be a great hit with people who liked Harry Potter and enjoyed watching The Game of Thrones. I would recommend for younger audiences to proceed with caution as the book is a little heavy on profanity.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Portrait of a Princess by Sam Baker

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great and well detailed review. I'm not a fan of sci-fi books but, this is quite engaging and I'm tempted to download it.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats Walking the Dog by Dave Hutchinson

Post by Sou Hi »

Nice review, Zainabreadsnow. I also like the political conflicts in this series. Besides the Riva Rohavi, the higher-ups are practically those who tear Voulhire apart with their schemes.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Great review! I agree that this book isn't very heavy on plot - I would've liked a bit more in that area. Still, Tysz is a very skilled author. :)
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Merix
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by Merix »

Romantic lovers or other kind lovers, what am gonna say is that, all really matters rightly. Do it right, think right and get well.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 07:28 Great and well detailed review. I'm not a fan of sci-fi books but, this is quite engaging and I'm tempted to download it.
This is quite an extensive series so it does require a bit of commitment on the reader's part. Thank you for your comment!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Sou Hi wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 08:20 Nice review, Zainabreadsnow. I also like the political conflicts in this series. Besides the Riva Rohavi, the higher-ups are practically those who tear Voulhire apart with their schemes.
Thank you! The political conflicts truly added a significant touch of reality to this series that would make it appealing to older audiences as well. I appreciate your comment!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

NDeMeer wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 12:01 Great review! I agree that this book isn't very heavy on plot - I would've liked a bit more in that area. Still, Tysz is a very skilled author. :)
That is very true! Tysz has got a fan in me because of his slow, strategic world-building. Thank you for your comment!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Merix wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 13:15 Romantic lovers or other kind lovers, what am gonna say is that, all really matters rightly. Do it right, think right and get well.
Thank you for an incredible addition to the review! It's an interesting aspect that you have chosen to highlight. Would like to know more about which characters you are referring to.
Rabia Farooq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabia-farooq.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rabia Farooq »

I love Harry Potter! I have been looking for the next best magical series and this just might be it!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Rabia Farooq wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 03:23 I love Harry Potter! I have been looking for the next best magical series and this just might be it!
I'm so glad you found this series and my review helpful! Thank you for the comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”