Review by Orizon -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Orizon
Currently Reading: The Adults in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 575
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: There is more to life by Oratile keosentse

Review by Orizon -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Orizon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Mathew Tysz is the first installment of the We are Voulhire series, an epic fantasy novel detailing the remarkable story of Galen Bray and other characters. Galen Bray is one of the four sons of the Emperor of Lullabies in the Land of Princes, a land synonymous with poverty, starvation, and death. He moved to Voulhire, and there he inherited his late uncle’s occupation and wealth.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a tale of knowing evil, witnessing it, and eventually becoming part of it. King Wilhelm Arcolo was the King of Voulhire; the city Galen Bray moved to after he escaped from the Land of Princes. He had a dilemma of who his heir would be, as his son, Prince Darius, was uninterested in politics. King Wilhelm was a devoted leader who upheld the oath of justice he took on his coronation, but due to human sentiments betrayed his trusted general, Dalehei Meldorath. There is more to this book that can be shortly summarized with many unanswered questions and expectations.

Mathew Tysz wrote this story in an unpredictable style. His ability to map out Voulhire is outstanding. He explores cultures, values, and the importance of an organized society in the book. What was fascinating to me in the book was the critical role religion played and how reverence of God was aptly noted. Furthermore, I learned essential lessons on the logic and reasoning of sailors during voyages. This story was told through multiple perspectives, and I was able to view the story from different angles. The power of magic, its waves, and frequencies was duly highlighted and intense.

This story was able to blend the importance of science and morals being taught in schools. Also, I love how the author sheds light on military regimentation and life in the mines. The book is exciting and filled with valuable lessons on choices, among other experiences.

Some of the things I least love about the book is the use of new words/terms which could be a bit frustrating looking up for some of their meaning. Also, connecting with some characters in the book was a bit tough. However, the book was professionally edited as I find a few minor errors in it.

Overall, I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars because the storyline is interesting, and there are political lessons to learn from it. I recommend this book to fantasy genre readers and travelers. Also, linguists and lovers of mystic and magic can learn something from the book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I have already read this book, and just like you, I rated this four out of four stars. I find the bookly greatly enjoyable.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

This book was an awesome read for me. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I agree with the frustrations of the new words, but i found it adventurous learning them. This is a honest review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”