Review by Wordlessly -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Wordlessly -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Wordlessly »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the inaugural volume of a series of fantasy novels. The first book acts as an introduction to many characters and seemingly unrelated plotlines that will evolve into a more consolidated storyline in the subsequent novels.

The story begins with Galen, a refugee, who hails from the war-torn region of the Lands of the Princes, aboard a ship taking him to the prosperous kingdom of Voulhire. He is on his way to a small town of Magnum Caelum to carry forward the legacy of his great uncle, who is on his death bed.

We are then made familiar with the well-liked king of Voulhire, Wilhelm. The kingdom is not as peaceful as it seems, for we are hinted at a dying but persistent rebel group called Riva Rohavi. There is also some friction between King Wilhelm and the High Chancellor, Midius Maido.

Miles away down south, the newly appointed Lord Eldus is trying to revive a quaint little town called Hillport, which is already reeling from the shock of having two evil lords in the past. One was Lord Orlin, a pedophile, and the other was Lord Meldorath, a mage who used his powers to experiment in unethical ways and is not as dead as he seemed.

Trouble is brewing under the surface, but will the ground hold?

When I started reading the book, I was immediately gripped by the exquisite writing. Not every day does one see such a beautiful harmony of words woven together to form sentences. When the entire capital is holding hands during an important celebration, it is described using the words "They were all connected— the pious to the secular, the paupers to the gentry, the king to conspirators and revolutionaries." When Galen is pondering about the disparity between his homeland and Voulhire, he thinks "It reminded me of a painting; but where I had come from, even the paintings weren't so lovely; even dreams weren't so audacious."

In this character-heavy story, the author, Matthew Tysz, has managed to infuse an intricate plot. Despite the pace being a bit sluggish throughout, I was unable to put down the book towards the end.

Galen came across as a kind but naive individual. He was instantly endearing despite him not being worldly-wise. Galen's executor, Rowan, on the other hand, was a bit suspicious as his motives were unclear. Wilhelm's character was quite believable as his vulnerabilities were on display. Lord Eldus' steely determination was palpable and refreshing. Lord Meldorath seems to be on the path to become a fascinating villain in the future. It would be exciting to see what role the arrival of Beth, a being from the Caromentis (the magical world), would play in the story ahead.

As opposed to the usual novels in a fantasy series in which problems created in a particular book are solved in that book itself, this one goes against the norm. The troubles just kept on multiplying right till the end, with no apparent solution in sight.

While this may be helpful to create hype for the next book of the series, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed by the lack of an apparent closure. As a result, the book feels incomplete in some way. This inadequacy is easily masked by the fact that this book is supposed to be an extended glossary for the series.

If the author's goal was to make me pick up the next book as soon as possible, then it was a successful one because I cannot wait to read the next volume of the series.

As there were vague allusions to mature themes and mild profanity, I would recommend this book to teens and adults.

I encountered a few minor errors while reading the book but nothing which interfered with my reading experience. I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars as it seems well-edited, and no significant problems prevented me from giving it the perfect score.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by ankushavhad »

Great review, Wordlessly.
I recall the theme when I reviewed the same book awhile ago.
Yes, A New Arrival under Great Skies is all about welcoming Galen on the magical land of Voulhire in "We are Voulhire" series books. He safely lands here from Lands of the Princes, but with surprises .... :)
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:

Post by Wordlessly »

ankushavhad wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 02:07 Great review, Wordlessly.
I recall the theme when I reviewed the same book awhile ago.
Yes, A New Arrival under Great Skies is all about welcoming Galen on the magical land of Voulhire in "We are Voulhire" series books. He safely lands here from Lands of the Princes, but with surprises .... :)
Thank you! I'm sure you appreciated the wonderful writing as much as I did.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by ankushavhad »

Of course, Wordlessly. I do.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

This was a fun and informative review! The quote you used perfectly portrays Galen's thoughts about Voulhire. I agree with what you said about the book seeming unfinished. It felt kind of short for a fantasy book, but the series looks promising, and I'm sure a lot of our questions get answered later on.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:

Post by Wordlessly »

azidy wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 15:07 This was a fun and informative review! The quote you used perfectly portrays Galen's thoughts about Voulhire. I agree with what you said about the book seeming unfinished. It felt kind of short for a fantasy book, but the series looks promising, and I'm sure a lot of our questions get answered later on.
Thank you so much for your kind words! That quote is quite heart-wrenching. Yes, I agree that most of the questions will be answered in the next books.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not generally into fantasy novels but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies seems to be a real treat for lovers of the genre. Thank you for your insightful review!
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

You're right, the first book feels incomplete and the ending is quite shocking, but it's the author's very own style when he introduces to us a new series :) Also, his language is very rich and vivid indeed! Thank you for a great review!
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

Matthew Tysz seems to have impressed quite a lot of reviewers with this captivating storyline. I will surely give this book a read soon.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:

Post by Wordlessly »

Dominik_G wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 02:27 I'm not generally into fantasy novels but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies seems to be a real treat for lovers of the genre. Thank you for your insightful review!
Thank you for your kind words!
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:

Post by Wordlessly »

Rashida10 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 14:37 Matthew Tysz seems to have impressed quite a lot of reviewers with this captivating storyline. I will surely give this book a read soon.
I hope you enjoy it as well. Thank you!
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Remy: A Book About Believing in Yourself by Mayuri Naidoo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

The first book set the scene for the upcoming events in proceeding novels :) I can't wait to find out what happens next. I am already hooked! Thank you for your detailed and insightful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:

Post by Wordlessly »

MeganDJ wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 01:23 The first book set the scene for the upcoming events in proceeding novels :) I can't wait to find out what happens next. I am already hooked! Thank you for your detailed and insightful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you so much for your kind words!
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have read this book as well and I completely agree that there is a lack of closure at the end. I found this to be the book's biggest flaw; the first book in any series shouldn't be merely introduction, it should hook potential readers! Other than that though, I agree that the novel is fantastically written and I enjoyed the characters very much. :) Thanks for your insights!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:

Post by Wordlessly »

NDeMeer wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 10:43 I have read this book as well and I completely agree that there is a lack of closure at the end. I found this to be the book's biggest flaw; the first book in any series shouldn't be merely introduction, it should hook potential readers! Other than that though, I agree that the novel is fantastically written and I enjoyed the characters very much. :) Thanks for your insights!
Completely agree! Yes, the characterization was impeccable as were the descriptions. Thank you so much for your feedback :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”