Review by Claire Riddle -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claire Riddle
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Through a Glass Darkly
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-riddle.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Claire Riddle -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Claire Riddle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first installment of the fantasy series, We are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz.

Galen Bray is a young man trying to survive in the Lands of the Princes, where war has been torturing people for years. While people flee away from this war-ridden country, Galen finds himself lucky enough to survive and live in Voulhire, a magnificent kingdom of prosperity. An uncle of him that Galen never knew to exist, is in his deathbed in Voulhire, and names Galen as the heir to his business. With the hope of a new beginning to his miserable life, Galen is on board to Magnum Caelum, a small city in Voulhire.

As Galen Bray arrive in Voulhire, he encounters new characters and discover wonders he had never come across, eventually falling in love with the new life. Written using two perspectives; Galen’s standpoint and third person's point of view, the readers are driven through the beauty and the magnificence of Voulhire, as well as the inner conflicts and darkness inside the same land.

Personally, I loved this novel for the detailed descriptions of the wonderful kingdom of Voulhire. It was as if I had been watching an elaborate piece of animation, while I was reading about Magnum Caelum, Alcovia or Hillport. Having a map of Voulhire and a reference guide on the special terms introduced in the novel was really convenient. Apart from that, the way Matthew Tysz introduces the characters and their nature must be appreciated.

Although, I often had a feeling that the story wanted more magic. Being a land where faith, science and magic were considered vital, I expected the touch of magic to be more often in the book. But this is just the beginning of a series, and I am hopeful to see more wonders of magic in the next volumes.

In conclusion, this story was well organized and interesting. The author had created a magical doorway to Voulhire and was capable of holding my eyes and mind glued to the book for the whole time. Professionally edited and containing an absorbing piece of fiction with believable characters, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

If fantasy fiction is your taste, I highly recommend this as your next perfect read. Nevertheless, I would not recommend this fiction for children for its detailed descriptions on attacks and killing.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”