Review by Chitsky -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chitsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitsky.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Chitsky -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Chitsky »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray had been born in the Land of Princes where he new nothing but war and hardship for as long as he could remember. Until one day he received a letter from a great uncle he had never heard of in a land called Magnun Caelum in the kingdom of Voulhire, and without hesitation he boarded a ship that would take him to his new life and far from his old one.

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is book one in the We Are Voulhire series written by Matthew Tysz. It sets the layout of things to come on the later books of the series, touching mostly on the state of affairs in the little town of Hillport which has suffered under the rule of two cruel lords and is finally set on a path for growth after the king appoints one of his most trusted, Eldus, to go to the town and be its new lord. However, this little town holds its own secrets, because while the rest of the world believes him to be dead, just off the shores of this boring town lies Lorcia’s Isle which holds one of the greatest but worst mages in recent time, Lord Meldorath, former lord of Hillport and former friend of the king.

What I greatly enjoyed most about the book were the descriptions of the places and things that were happening in the story, the details were just enough that you wouldn’t get bored and helped create a perfect picture in your head. It also left me curious enough to want to go on and read the next book in the series, which I greatly appreciate. Furthermore, although there are so many characters to keep track of, at this point, the writing makes it easy enough not to forget them which I was relieved about as having too many character in a book can sometimes leave others without enough story time.

I would have liked to see a little more magic though and I hope that will be the case in the next books. Other than that, the book is well edited but for one spelling error which I noticed.

For the first book of the series it served its purpose of introducing characters and setting out the stage for things to come. I look forward to reading more of it. And for this reason I am giving the book 4 out of 4 stars for how well it managed to captivate and leave me wanting more.

Lastly, I would recommend this book to everyone and at most for fantasy lovers and people who love stories with details and hidden plots.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The we are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”