Review by damis -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Med-Chains & Covid– 19 by Ebot Eyong

Review by damis -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by damis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wherever there is power, there's a high risk of corruption. Especially when that power comes with a prosperous land to govern. The world created by Matthew Tysz in We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is not the exception. Once upon a time, a king had four sons with rightful claims to the throne. To prevent rebellions, he decided to grant them their inheritance while he was still alive. I don't know if he was wise, or just plain cunning, but his choice kept the peace in the capital of his kingdom. I know, however, that the princes were a little too greedy (and a little too stupid) for their own sake. It didn't take long before the peace was over in the lands they ruled.

The contrast between the war in the princes' lands and the peace in their father's kingdom soon created dramatic differences in the lifestyle of the inhabitants of those lands. Galen is a man raised in the middle of that war. An unexpected turn of fate takes him out of his homeland and leads him to a completely different life. Magic, drama, and rumors of war serve to spice up the story.

The novel is the first book in the series "We are Voulhire." Just as the author described it, it is like watching the first season of a tv show. Admittedly, I thought it was going to have a slow plot. I am glad to say I was wrong. The narrative is entertaining, and it even made me laugh a few times. My favorite chapters were those written from Galen's point of view. There was something heart-warming about them.

There's a link to a reference guide to words, places, and historical references at the beginning of the book. It was useful, to an extent. However, I would have liked to have the guide in the book instead of having to open the link whenever I wanted to consult it. It was slightly annoying.

The book is professionally edited, at least in my opinion. It isn't perfect, but I didn't find a lot of errors that distracted me from the plot. Objectively, they were not enough for me to take a star from my rating of the book, so I'll grant it four out of four stars.

If you like stories that involve magic, politics, wars, and a fair share of slice-of-life scenes, this novel might be the right one for you. However, I have to say it contains profanity and sexual mentions. Nothing to be worried about, but worth mentioning anyway, just in case there's an underage public.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

You have given a good summary of the story, and the review is very engaging as well. Great work!
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

Perhaps what I failed to mention in my review is considered in this review. I disliked the fact that the reference guide is hosted online and not included in the book. I feel that it's the author's way to generate traffic to his website, and also a way to introduce the readers to his other books. It's clever, and a tad annoying. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise

Post by kandscreeley »

The reference guide would come in handy. Like you, though, I would like it within the book. I would hate to have to keep clicking. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I had also initially thought that the slow plot development at the beginning would wear me down, but I'm glad that it did not. Great review!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I have reviewed this book too. I am glad to see in your review that you also noticed the use of humor which was well depicted. Good review.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

Yes, I fully agree with you on the plot being anything but slow. I liked Galen as a character, but I have to say I enjoyed reading the other characters' perspectives more. Because of the dynamic switch in perspectives, I also had a feeling I was watching a TV show while reading it.

Thank you for the nice review!
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I just reviewed the 4th book of this series and I love it! This is a great introductory book. Wonderful review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

Galen is my favorite narrator too! And I agree, the first book starts a bit slowly, but the culmination at the very end is the author's trade mark :) You can never relax while reading his books. Thanks for a great review!
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

Nice and informative review. I must admit the book was quite gripping and I definitely agree with your rating. I had equally presumed it to be slow paced and boring but was later proved wrong. Mathew Tysz had done a splendid job for keeping us glued to the book even though it was just a first in the series.
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Budhal »

I read this book recently and found it really fascinating. It is full of twists and turns. Great review.
What isn't said is as important as what is said.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”