Review by bryannanorvang4 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bryannanorvang4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bryannanorvang4.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by bryannanorvang4 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by bryannanorvang4 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel. It goes into descriptive detail of the kingdom Voulhire which is a place that is made of magis, hardworking workers, and humans. The main character (Galen Bray) is from the Lands of the Princes that have been at war for years. His dying Uncle seeks out Galen with help of Rowan (a financier/executor) to invite to Magnum Caelum to adopt his trade of forge and personal home. Rowan helps Galen settle into his new adventure. For the remaining of the book, Tysz gives us the perspective of Lord Meldorath, King Wilhelm, and Lord Eldus among others that play an important role in creating this page-turner.

I like how the stories of the unrelated characters would merge unexpectant. A good piece of the story is about Lord Eldus, then the Lord Meldorath, Beth, and Riva Rohavi joined in his storyline and just made sense as it gives you the “aha” moment. I liked how Tysz wrote the story for Rowan; he’s mysterious yet captivating, which makes you want to follow whatever he says. The author leaves you questioning his motives though, for instance: is Rowan being an honorable friend to Galen? Why doesn’t Rowan want to go back to his old life and why does he act clingy to Galen at times? I like how the author is descriptive in the scenery and the people so that it is easy to visualize making this novel an interesting read.

I don’t have any dislikes of the book because the books’ content and format was well thought out. When I had read the description for this book and mentioning a magic world, I had expected there would be more magic, besides two events. Considering this book as the primary novel with 151 pages of introductory of characters then diving into action. it is greatly done.

The author has created a world of adventure, magic, loss, and fighting. This book is the first of the series, so it starts off slow by introducing key characters' storylines along with describing places in Voulhire and the Lands of the Princes. When I started reading this book, it reminded me of The Lord of the Rings because of the different characters' storylines, map of the kingdom, and dwell in a world of magic. Tysz gives us a story of good vs bad, gullible characters and overly confident characters, which makes the book a must-read.

I found no grammatical errors or spelling errors. The book seems professionally edited. There is a profane language used with Rowan and Prince Darius. It would fit the audience of young adults, science fiction fanatics, and people who like the magic world. The language is easy to understand. The book doesn’t have chapters instead has segments, where each segment is based on a person’s perspective and place of interest. I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was well edited and has great content. It has an exquisite mix of suspense, science, and fiction. Because the end has a cliffhanger, it leaves you with questions and wanting answers, so it’s a must to read on to the next novel in the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Thank you for the incredible review! I loved this book and am so glad to see that you enjoyed it too!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”