Review by Nerea -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An array of events have happened in the Kingdom of Voulhire throughout this series. Voulhire was under siege. The Emperor of Lullabies, together with his army, the nightynights (creature like beings), attacked Voulhire. Nobody seems to understand why the Emperor of Lullabies chose to attack Voulhire. Some citizens who supported the kingdom of Voulhire died and were resurrected in a different world. The remnants of Voulhire fought for their freedom. Did they succeed?

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz is the sixth book of the series that unfolds the aftermath of the attack on Voulhire. The descriptions of events in the plot are incredible. They are detailed, enabling the reader to have a clear picture in mind of the events. When you read through the story in each book of this series, you will realize that the author adopted the many-worlds concept. I find the concept interesting.

The story is narrated from different perspectives in a descriptive and conversational tone. Outstandingly, the new terminologies used in the narrative have been defined within the conversations of the characters. The language used is ideal. The writing style is remarkable, and I like how the author used this art to present an adventurous and intriguing story. The book is exceptionally edited for the fact that I didn’t find typos/errors in the material.

The parts that I found amusing and adventurous in the story were the parts that talked about some characters who created their world in which they lived and had other characters joined them in that world. Interestingly, some characters living in Caromentis could see their past life in the physical world. Moreover, some scientists who thought were mages while in Cosmos (the physical world) moved to Caromentis (the magic world) to seek refuge. If you choose to read this book, notice how the living beings in Caromentis treated these scientists. I liked how the author let the characters share their experience from their perspective. I find it better to hear a story from a primary source than receive second-hand information. Furthermore, the concept of the flesh of mind was well brought out by some characters living in Caromentis.

If you’ve read the previous books in this series, notice what happened to Galen, Demetrious, and Rowan in this book.

I rate the book at 4 out of 4 stars. I have nothing to complain about the book. The story was well presented. It focused on science and magic and brought out well the relationship between the two features. There was a balanced measure of suspense and plot twists in the story. Moreover, I detected a few vulgarisms and sexual mentions that didn’t seem erotic in the narrative. There were violent scenes as well. Readers who abhor such traits in their stories may wish to skip the book. If you are looking for suspenseful and thrilling science fiction and fantasy story, here’s your treat.

In conclusion, the lesson that I drew from the story is that “there is no victory without a sacrifice”.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Tysz is a well-established author; commendably, I have been reading this series and getting the most out of each installment. Great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The story is narrated from different perspectives in a descriptive and conversational tone. Outstandingly, the new terminologies used in the narrative have been defined within the conversations of the characters. The language used is ideal. The writing style is remarkable, and I like how the author used this art to present an adventurous and intriguing story. The book is exceptionally edited for the fact that I didn’t find typos/errors in the material.
This is such an important detail, because going back and forth to look up words can interrupt the flow of the reading, which can be frustrating, especially with such an engaging book.
Great review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’m currently reading the fifth book and I finished reviewing the fourth. I love this series. I’m sure I’ll like this book too! Thanks for your wonderful review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 04:12 I’m currently reading the fifth book and I finished reviewing the fourth. I love this series. I’m sure I’ll like this book too! Thanks for your wonderful review!
That's awesome. I enjoyed reading the books in this series as well. I hope you find time to read this book. Thanks.
Lunastella wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 10:54
This is such an important detail, because going back and forth to look up words can interrupt the flow of the reading, which can be frustrating, especially with such an engaging book.
Great review!
Totally. One might even give up. Thanks for commenting @Lunastella
Kanda_theGreat wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 00:00 Tysz is a well-established author; commendably, I have been reading this series and getting the most out of each installment. Great review!
I've added him to my favourite authors' list. His stories are promising. I'm glad you enjoyed reading his material. :tiphat:
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”