Review by TCG -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Gr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TCG
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The race by Luther Wissa

Review by TCG -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Gr...

Post by TCG »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a science-fiction novel. Voulhire is a prosperous kingdom with a well-structured style of leadership. In this book, the author introduced certain characters who played critical roles in the plot development. We meet King Wilhelm, the ruler of Voulhire. His people looked up to him as an icon of success. His son, Darius, is the rightful heir to his throne. However, does he possess the required attributes to become king? King Wilhelm is faced with opposition from his enemy. How will he handle this situation? This is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. Matthew Tysz starts this book by introducing us to famous characters like Galen.

Galen discovers that his late uncle left him with treasures and bounties to start a new life in Voulhire. He had to start embracing his new environment and make new companions. He finds a way to adapt to the culture of Voulhire. Also, the book talks about specific mysterious individuals like Lord Meldorath. In this book, readers will discover the roles played by these individuals in developing the plot.

In every prospering society, there is usually a jealous enemy. Most times, this enemy could once have been the closest ally to his target. That is why this book is unique. I enjoyed the character development of this tale. The characters have realistic and unique attributes. I appreciated the role of Marshus. He was a great storyteller but a liar. Similarly, I enjoyed reading the roles played by Galen and Eldus. For instance, Eldus's friendship with children was enjoyable to see. The thing I loved most about this novel is the way Matthew Tysz described Voulhire and its beautiful features. For instance, he described River Nubere in a believable way. As a result of reading this novel, I desired to visit Voulhire to explore these descriptions.

The only thing I disliked about this novel was that the author gave some unnecessary details in the book. An instance was the filthy communication between Galen and Rowan, which did not help to drive the story forward. It was stressful to read about facts that did not help in developing the plot. Secondly, it was difficult to understand the central theme of this book. Readers might find it hard to know the primary focus of the entire events in the book. The plot seemed to lack focus, and that's why I was displeased.

I consider this book to have been edited professionally. The typographical and grammatical errors were few and did not disturb the flow of the book. Due to the author's masterful style of narrating the story, I give this book a good 4 out of 4 stars. The unnecessary inclusion of details and the typographical errors were not enough to deduct a star from the rating. This novel contains vulgar and profane language. Children should avoid this book since it has many instances of offensive speech. I recommend this book to fans of fantasy novels.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Wedding Girl
Bookshelf Size: 625
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Grant Justice by Robert Gregory Fegers
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

This book will be book of the month soon. I hope to read it before then. Voulhire seems to be a fascinating place which Tysz has created.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen a lot of reviews for this series lately. Many seem to like it. I've tried a book by Tysz, and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I might have to try it again, though. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

Agree with the part about the communication between Galen and Rowan – there was one conversation that they had early in the book about the mayor's daughter which has remained in my memory even until now. Thanks for the great review.
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

Like most fictions, this book contains undertones of very realistic human issues. Thanks for a great review. will sure read this one.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

Your review of the book make it seem quite appealing as I like books with good character development. However, I do try to avoid books that don't stand alone. Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I completely agree that there is a lack of focus in the plot of this story. For me, that was enough to deduct a point. However, the storytelling is rather masterful, as you say, so I can imagine you giving 4 stars. Thanks for your insights! :)
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This book gets a perfect rating all the time. The author has done a beautiful job of writing such flawless piece. Beautiful review.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I agree with the lack of focus that the plot presents, but hopefully we will see a much more developed plot in the rest of the series. Thank you for the honest review!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

This is such a brilliant review! I finished reading this book not long ago and absolutely agree with your deductions. Thank you for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Dissidence
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

I assumed that the lack of focus is due to the fact that this is just the first part of a bigger story that already has a number of sequels. I still have to read those sequels, though. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I completely agree with the most part of what you wrote in your review. I have already read and reviewed We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, and I also gave it a perfect rating of 4/4 stars. Great review!
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Just in time
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Having Early Visions That Move Mountains by Eric S. York

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the cast of characters. The author has introduced an interesting group of people for this world of Voulhire. Thanks for your interesting comments about the author's ability to describe the characters and the settings. Great review!
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I must say that this is a great introductory books for the series. I just reviewed the fourth book of this series. I enjoyed reading your review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I agree with you that the first book looks a bit abrupt, but the story gets more complicated in the next books and this series is really worth reading :) Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”