Review by JGretz-7 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by JGretz-7 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by JGretz-7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in what will be a nine-book series. The We are Voulhire series currently consists of six novels. If you appreciate science fiction and fantasy genres, then this series may be right up your alley.

Lands ruled by emperors, wars amongst brothers, mages that bend reality at a whim, and the sincere, honest people that they govern. The story begins with one such person, Galen Bray. Twenty-eight-year-old Galen's ship has truly come in as he sets sail to begin a new life free from the trappings of filth and poverty. An unknown great-uncle has left him his forge in a southern town called Magnum Caelum. He pairs up with the executor of his uncle's estate, Rowan, who leads him on a tour of several cities within Voulhire. I should probably mention that Rowan's character seems a bit sketchy as to what his true motives are. As no story would be complete without an antagonist, we learn of Meldorath, a former mage to the king making a comeback from the land of the dead, along with another faction at work trying to undermine the glory of Voulhire, the Riva Rohavi. While the story is set in the physical universe, the Cosmos, the thin veil that separates it from the realms of Caromentis seems to be weakening. What does this mean for those that desire power above all else?

I appreciated the disclaimer from Tysz where he begged forgiveness in that this first book was truly going to set the stage for the adventures that follow in the rest of the series. Tysz paints the picture of the history of Voulhire by examining the various characters that have had a hand in shaping it. The bulk of the story follows Galen with chapters that focus on his adventures interspersed with others that introduce King Wilhelm, Lord Eldus Alderman, and Riva Rohavi to name a few. While I found the introduction of these new characters a bit overwhelming and confusing at first, I did begin to see how they were intertwined and the necessity of setting the stage for future development.

On the Kindle edition and located on the author's website, there is a link to reference information that I found quite useful in understanding this new world's vocabulary. One thing that I liked the least was the map at the beginning of the book, which I typically find really helpful in picturing new worlds. It was really hard to read the tiny print on the gray background, which made it pretty useless.

Overall, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has earned four out of four stars for Tysz's masterful storytelling and thorough editing. I am anxious to read the rest! Due to some profanity and violence, I would recommend this book for fantasy-loving humans fifteen years of age and up.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”