Review by Jac-o-lantern -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Jac-o-lantern -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first installment of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy series We are Voulhire. The novel opens with the main character, a refugee named Galen, who grew up in the war-torn and poverty-stricken islands surrounding the prosperous mainland of Voulhire. Galen luckily has been granted passage to the mainland because he has just inherited his Uncle’s blacksmith business and home. Voulhire however is not without its own problems with the threat of the Riva Rohavi, a rebel group bent on destroying Voulhire, and the infamous Meldorath, a powerful mage with a grudge against the king.

What I most disliked about this book was that there were times where it was unnecessarily crude. For example, the term eight-year-old slut was used as well as other derogatory sexual remarks. I think that by omitting this the books could have been marketed towards a younger audience as well an older one.

Initially my favorite parts of the book were the parts containing Lord Eldus and his family, because it had a more lighthearted feel, and I was a bit disappointed to find that they were not intended to be main characters, like Galen, but I think the author did a good job of creating likable characters that hold your interest. I also liked how this book showed that there is more than one side to a story and presented multiple possible villains.

I would rate this novel a 4 out of 4 stars. I found the writing to be exceptionally well edited and free of errors. I also think that the author did a good job of setting up a world and creating likeable, interesting characters for series that will make people want to read the rest of the books. The author mentioned this book was meant to be similar to a first episode and I think that is a good comparison. This book covered a lot of plot points and allowed you to start to feel interested in all the different characters.

Overall, I think that this book was a good prequel to what I am sure will be a highly entertaining and interesting series. I think that people who enjoy adventures filled with magic and excitement will fully enjoy this book. However, I would not recommend this book for younger readers despite it having a YA novel feel to it due to some of the subject matter and language.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”