Official Review: An English Apocalypse by Paul JC Edge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: An English Apocalypse by Paul JC Edge

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An English Apocalypse" by Paul JC Edge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An apocalyptic event has been revealed to Paul repeatedly through dreams. In addition to these dreams, he has a strong sense that he is one of the seven who have the fate of humanity in their hands. His intuition is confirmed when he wakes up to find a note he had written during his sleep. The numbers on this note represent lottery sequences that win him millions of pounds.

Meanwhile, Francisco seems to have misfortune follow him wherever he goes. With a mysterious voice aiding him, he protects a girl from a shark but gets injured in the process. When he wakes up from the hospital bed, he locks eyes with Lucy, the girl he saved. They fall in love with each other, get married, and have a daughter, Colletta. The mysterious voice still speaks to him, and he has developed quite a reputation for saving people from dire situations.

What has Paul seen in his dreams? What will Paul do to save humanity from devastation? Who are the seven? Will Francisco be able to keep his family safe from the apocalypse? What is the relationship between Paul and Francisco? Find out the answers to these questions in An English Apocalypse by Paul JC Edge.

Being a huge fan of stories that are based on upcoming doom, my interest was piqued when I saw this intriguing piece of fiction. With the number of these kinds of books previously written by different authors, there is usually little room for unique stories, but I think Edge fared well with this novel. Firstly, I was pleased with the pace of the book. Although I found the earlier portion of the book to be boring, the book came to life moments before the apocalypse, a timely change in the pace of the story. Secondly, the sequence of events was organized with a touch of class, which resulted in an excellent plot.

Likewise, I was happy to see the effort the author put into character development. Most characters were well-defined. As a result, I was able to connect with them. I was especially drawn to Paul because he proved to be a good leader and did what was necessary to save the people he could. The descriptions of events were also done excellently. I always had a good mental picture of what transpired at every point. The most memorable event for me was when Paul fought off “Shrooms” just after the apocalypse. His use of the sword was very graceful and effortless.

Additionally, I liked that the author didn’t try to portray any character as “immune to death.” In fact, several characters were sacrificed. Because of this, I was at the edge of my seat during every battle, hoping not to lose my favorite character, which, in turn, increased the level of suspense. I was also pleased with the ending of the story, which sets the stage for a second book.

Moreover, the book was expertly edited, as I found only five errors throughout the text. With an exception to the slow start, I didn’t dislike anything about this read. I give An English Apocalypse a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to people that are interested in fiction stories. However, sensitive readers that are affected by profanity and gory scenes are advised to steer clear because this piece contains a few cases of non-borderline profane words as well as gruesome scenes.

An English Apocalypse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

I think I liked that the author didn't paint any character as being immune to death. That makes this story reliable and relatable. Good job.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

It's good to know that the author put in his work in developing his characters. Nice review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds like some really good apocalyptic fiction and I do wonder if the pacing was done deliberately like that. I won't lie, I'm very curious as to the circumstances of this apocalypse as you mentioned 'Shrooms and I immediately thought of nature taking over once more.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Sounds like a great apocalyptic fiction wih some very realistic characters. Nice review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's great that the author found a way to make this novel engaging considering the very classic theme. The fact that you're not sure who'll live and who'll die makes it even better. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"Because of this, I was at the edge of my seat during every battle, hoping not to lose my favorite character, which, in turn, increased the level of suspense. " - Very vivid description. Thank you for bringing this wonderful book to us!
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

This sounds like a fresh take on an Aocolypse event. I’m curious to find out how everything fits together. I appreciate it when a novel is unpredictable with loads of surprises. Good job on the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”