Review by Zinda Lukman -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zinda Lukman
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Review by Zinda Lukman -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by Zinda Lukman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first novel in We are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz. The plot of the novel is set up in two worlds, the Caromentis world (world of magic) and Cosmos world (physical world).

Galen Bray, a naive and kind man, ventures to the prosperous kingdom of Voulhire after spending twenty years of war and chaos in Lands of the Princes. He meets Rowan, his uncle's executor, and Demetrius, a monk and magician from Yamon Soul (the holiest district of Voulhire). King Wilhelm Arcolo, the king of Voulhire, is facing threats from Chancellor Midius Maido, leader of the corrupt Mianora council of knights, and Lord Dalehei Meldorath, his old friend and a powerful mage.

The author gives the geographical map of the kingdom of Voulhire, showing its cities, rivers, islands and mountains at the beginning of the novel. I was impressed by Matthew Tysz's writing style, it is very fascinating and creates suspense in the reader's mind. His descriptions are very intriguing and catch the reader's attention, which keeps him/her wanting to know more. The plot of the novel is unpredictable and very mysterious, this makes it very interesting. Caromentis, the magic world, in the novel also impressed me, people in this world can do whatever they want effortlessly and I wished I was living in this a world.

The development of characters in the novel is very impressive. Dalehei Meldorath is depicted as a threatening dark magician, people get scared whenever his name is mentioned. Midius Maido is depicted as a corrupt and nepotistic leader. Lord Eldus Alderman and his family are depicted as kind, caring and loving people. I was displeased by the killing of Lord Eldus and his family, I felt like crying because I had started falling in love with these characters. I was also offended by the painting of the face of God on the ceiling of a Chantry in Diadem church in Yamon Soul because it degrades the image of God.

The novel lacks erotic scenes and there are very few instances of profanity. I rate the first novel of We are Voulhire book series by Matthew Tysz 4 out of 4 stars. The book is suitable for young audiences, I recommend it to fantasy readers and anyone who is looking for a good read. The novel is exceptionally well edited, I did not come across any typo, grammar, or spelling error while I was read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”