Review by LuciusM -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by LuciusM -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by LuciusM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, is the first book of the fictional series, We Are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz. Each of the novels has its title. Having read the second book of this series, I recommend that a reader should not read this series out of sequence to avoid confusion.

Galen, one of the main characters in this book, has just arrived from the land of princes. He has landed in Voulhire in a town called Magnum Caelum. He is here to inherit wealth and the skill of blacksmithing that was left behind by his late uncle. What awaits Galen in this strange land? Concurrently, Eldus, the lord of Hillport, hopes to make the town of Hillport a better place than it was during the reign of lord Orlin. Will his missions thrive?

I had stated in my previous review of the second book that I was confused by the author's use of two points of view. I wish to withdraw that after realization (which came after reading this book) that the multiple points of view, helped to create a coherent and compelling story. I was able to understand how the author devoted all chapters involving Galen to use the first person while the rest used the third person. By the use of this, I was able to know that it was Galen who was speaking without any indelicate clue from the book.

I enjoyed reading this novel because of its structure involving parallel plots linked by common themes and settings. Although my favorite parts of the book were those involving Galen and his adventures, I appreciate that the other parallel plots helped to break the monotony of the book. There was a scene in the book that made me laugh out loud. At the High Forum of Law in Soulhire, an older spectator calls out that his wife was experiencing a heart attack, an old defendant responds that she is not experiencing heart attack but her first real orgasm since marriage.
The author made the scene to be so humourous that I could not stop laughing.

It strained me to remember many places that were not memorable. Being the first book, I was hoping that the author will include a few and unravel the rest progressively in the other books. Nevertheless, it did not interfere with my enjoyment in reading the book. I find it worth to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I found the book interesting from the start to the end. I plan to continue reading the subsequent of this page-turning series. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy fantasy novel series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Wycliffe32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wycliffe32.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Wycliffe32 »

Good review, well brought out...I already added this to my shelf and after reading your review will start on it soon. Good work.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Awake and Dreaming by AJ Publications
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I'm glad that the point-of-view situation improved in this book, and that you thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

Looking back at my notes, I also have written down the joke you mentioned. I completely agree with you. That part is extremely hilarious and had me stop reading for a minute so I can laugh.
Ciru_phoebe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciru-phoebe.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Ciru_phoebe »

With the promise of an adventure packed novel, my interest is piqued. The reviewer's brief peek in to the character Galen, makes me want to know him better and sail with him through the challenges and wins he encounters in his quest.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

I am happy to see in your review that the confusion you had in the second book has been revoked. I would recommend you read that second book again for a fresh start and deeper understanding before proceeding to the third book. Great work LuciusM.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not really into fantasy novels, but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies looks like a well-developed and engaging book. Definitely a good choice for fans of the genre. Thank you for your great review!
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Where the Wings Grow
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kirsi_78 »

I was lucky enough to accidentally start with the first part of the series, and am now reading the second part! I suppose the story really makes more sense that way! 😂 Thanks for a thorough review!
damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Med-Chains & Covid– 19 by Ebot Eyong

Post by damis »

The chapters involving Galen were my favorite too. The approach the author gave it was quite heart-warming at times. Great review!
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I read this book and I liked it as well! The world of Voulhire was carefully created and I appreciate that very much. Thank you very much for the lovely review!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I like your analysis of the multiple viewpoints! I absolutely agree. Thank you for the detailed review!
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

I was hesitant about reading this book, but after reading your amazing review I'm definitely going to read the entire series!
gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Echoes From The Heart by Kimberly L. Burrell

Post by gabrielletiemi »

I read this book recently and it's great indeed! I'm in love with this series, I'm going to read the second book now. It's so gripping! Thanks for the interesting review! Great job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”