Review by Ashliicat -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashliicat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashliicat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Ashliicat -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Ashliicat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. The story introduces us to the land of Voulhire through the eyes of Galen Bray, a man travelling from the Lands of the Princes to take over his great uncle’s forge in the town of Magnum Caelum. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is an amazing blend of adventure and fantasy and would appeal to people who enjoy those genres.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the story was how the characters were brought to life and explored. Each chapter title indicated to the reader who’s point of view the story was being experienced from. While Galen could arguably be said to be the main character, as he takes centre stage in the first chapter and is the only character to give first person narration, all the other characters offer a different perspective on life in Voulhire. Through these differing perspectives, we see the main threads of the story pull together so, while one character may be in the middle of a battle, we see another viewing it in passing, unaware of the darkness that’s so nearby. I found this gave We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies amazing depth, balancing the more complex storylines with ones focused purely on exploration.

While I enjoyed the story immensely, I did find there were moments where the character’s actions were over described. These descriptions didn’t take away from the overall story, and happened rarely, but I did find that, when they did occur, I had to reread the sentence to grasp what was happening. That said, however, the scenic description, when crafted in the same style, worked beautifully, so it may just be an issue of my own preference.

Overall, I found the story easy to read. The style of the writing meant the settings were easy to picture, and the attention to detail throughout made every scene a vivid image in my mind. The editing was extremely well done. There were only one or two minor issues throughout, and those I found didn’t impact on my overall enjoyment of the story at all.

I am giving We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies four out of four stars. I greatly enjoyed the story throughout and, although some scenes didn’t seem to have much importance in the moment of reading, everything linked back to other parts in one way or another. The threads left open at the end of the book made me want to continue reading the series, but even then the story is enjoyable as a stand-alone.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”