Review by Miraphery -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Miraphery -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen is a refugee from the Land of the princes. He grew up in a hostile environment, barely surviving. Luck shone on him when he discovered he had an uncle, who wanted him to come over to Voulhire, Magnum Caelum to be precise. His uncle had been ostracized by his family and had relocated to Voulhire. Realizing that he was soon going to die, he hired someone to look for Galen. On reaching Magnum Caelum, Galen realized his uncle had died but had left him a lot of money and his blacksmith business.

Meanwhile, Voulhire had her fair share of trouble. Despite its reputation for beauty and advanced technology, it had people with insincere intentions. Some wanted power while some sought her destruction. Among this category was a mage, Meldorath, who had caused chaos in the land but was rumored to be dead. Could he really be dead?

We are Voulhire, A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a book about magic, war, spirituality and politics. It is a non-fiction of the fantasy genre. It is the premiere novel of the 'We are Voulhire' series. It is a book of 151 pages. It was not sectioned into chapters per se. It was more like episodes, each episode having a name as its title. Being written in the first-person narrative, the name refers to the person narrating the story each time.

Tysz did a good job with this novel. It was suspense-filled and intriguing as the story unfolded. It was laced with humor. The pace was just adequate and the plot was engaging. The characterization was excellent as each character was introduced when relevant and was relatable. It's important to mention that it is not a standalone novel. I can't wait to read the second book in the series. There was nothing I disliked about the book.

The book contains profane words and is therefore not adequate for younger children. It had no erotic scenes but had some violent scenes. It was impeccably edited, I did not notice a single error. Although spirituality is one of its themes, I don't think people of other religions would mind as religion was not the focus. I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to lovers of fantasy genre who don't mind some profane words and a bit of violence.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”