Review by Sunnybydesign -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnybydesign
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnybydesign.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sunnybydesign -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of...

Post by Sunnybydesign »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the heart of Virko, a busy and magnificent town, stood an enormous and daunting structure, the Redenhide Manor. This was the home to the ailing Lord Venden and his son Hans, popularly known as Folcro. Lord Venden was the leader and founder of this busy town. He was wise in the ways of merchandising and leadership and through this Virko achieved heights of success and greatness other towns could only dream of. He was a kind and just leader and sought to change the mode of leadership from a monarchical one to a fairer system where the power is given to the deserving parties. These were the people who had proven their worth in building the city, such as investors and industrialists, as opposed to the current wielders of power, the nobles, whose only qualification was being born in the right families.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Hans is the ultimate contradiction to this proverb. He is selfish, self centered, cruel and apathetic. He favours his needs above all else and is as drawn to evil and deviance as a moth is to the flame. But for all his folly and misgivings, he is very cunning, diligent and charming. He always gets things done and works hard for the things that are important to him, such as harbouring and using magic. He is also very skilled at slyly getting his way. In the end, his use of the supernatural becomes highly catastrophic but as expected of a man with his prowess, he finds a way to escape unscathed, or so people believe.

This fantasy novel is the second part of a series and like the first one, has a way of getting you hooked on the narrative. It keeps you eagerly reading through each page to keep up with the events taking place and the characters built up. These characters are gripping and all their varying perspectives are provided which helps you understand where each is coming from, and why they act as they do. Matthew Tysz uses vivid descriptions that help you enter his world and picture all the scenes and sights in great detail. He also incorporates humour beautifully which keeps the reader entertained.

However, I felt like some of the details provided were unnecessarily disturbing and some of the acts perpetrated by Folcro, were unnerving and horrifying. This made me cringe while I read some of the scenes. Though unsettling, I would not use this as a point to discredit the book as it's simply a matter of opinion and these details did help you fully grasp the extent to which the perpetrators were twisted and evil, which was probably the intention of the author.

Nonetheless, I highly enjoyed the read and will definitely look for the next part of the series. It was well edited as I barely found any errors. I had no problem with this book, save for the high suspense he leaves the reader with at the end of the book. I therefore felt We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko deserved a perfect rating of 4 out of 4. This book is for anyone who enjoys a good fictional story and is not afraid of a little chill in his bones once in a while. I would not recommend it to younger and more conservative audiences as the language used is relatively strong and some of the scenes are quite gory and violent.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”