Review by aaurba -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Review by aaurba -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by aaurba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, by Matthew Tysz, is the first installment in the ongoing nine-book series, We are Voulhire. It is listed under the medieval fantasy genre and follows the life of its protagonist, Galen Bray. The story takes place in the fictional land of Voulhire, and the book includes a map of Voulhire. There is also an online Reference Guide that aids readers in understanding new terms and concepts. The book is divided into multiple sections; each section's title introduces the focal character of that chapter.

When opportunity knocks through the door, Galen Bray did not think twice to grab it. Galen is from the Lands of the Princes, a place pestered with war and famine. It doesn't matter where he is headed to; everything will be fine as long as he leaves the Lands of the Princes. Luckily, he is destined to go to Voulhire. The kingdom of Voulhire has entered its Golden Age. There are no imminent threats of war and violence from insurgents, and their economy is thriving. Galen must learn the customs of this new place and adapt if he wants to survive.

Meanwhile, King Wilhelm Marcolo ordered Meldorath to be executed; Meldorath was caught carrying out despicable experiments on people while he was the lord of Hillport. Suddenly, rumors stating that Meldorath is alive started circulating the kingdom. At the same time, King Wilhelm appointed Lord Eldus as the new Lord of Hillport. Lord Eldus made it his mission to help Hillport heal from the wickedness that once enveloped the town. Is there any truth to the rumor? Will Lord Eldus succeed in reforming the town? You will have to read the book to find out.

The book successfully captured my interest during the first few pages and maintained this throughout the book. This is what I liked the most about the title. The first chapter opened by introducing Galen Bray. I find reading about Galen and his storyline enjoyable as I feel hopeful that he can finally leave the depressing place where he grew up and excited about what his destination could offer. When Galen arrived at Voulhire, my enjoyment is retained. Everything in this wondrous place is new to Galen, and reading about it through his perspective makes exploring Voulhire more exciting. I can truly feel the curiosity he has for the marvelous kingdom of Voulhire. Overall, I wholly enjoyed reading the novel.

The only issue I had with the book is the disconnect between Galen’s storyline and the book’s major conflict. Galen is the protagonist of the book, yet the principal conflict is centered around Lord Eldus and his plan to reform Hillport and not on him. There are only subtle connections, which have no to little contribution to the plot, between Galen and Lord Eldus such as that Magnum Caelum, where Galen resides, is an unsung town in Voulhire similar to Hillport. However, this did not tremendously affect my enjoyment of the book. This actually made me want to read We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, the sequel of this book, so I’ll know how Galen’s role will grow and how his influence will affect Voulhire.

I found a fair number of profane words in the text. Obscene language is also present. I didn’t catch any errors; the book is professionally edited. I give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the novel, and I had only one minor issue. Because of the presence of profanity and obscenity, young readers should steer away from this book. I recommend this to frequent readers of the medieval fantasy genre.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

One thing I like about this book is the author's descriptive ability. This brings out the action in this book. Nice review also.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

Having just read and reviewed this book myself, I have to agree that there was a disconnect between Galen and the book's major conflict. However, this actually made the book more interesting to me as I treated them as two parallel storylines, and I'm quite eager to see where they merge. Thanks for the great review!
Sushan
Currently Reading: The Deadly Five
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Swimming Lessons and Other Stories by Suzanne McNear
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

This is the hot topic these days, and I have planned to read this in near future. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

Mathew Tysz is a great author. Am truly enjoying reading this series.
Nice review.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

This series is trending and seeing reviews about it steers me to read the other installations. Great work.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Yay! Another Galen Bray review! The author might be ecstatic that everyone is loving his series. Awesome job on the review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow

Post by Dominik_G »

I don't really read fantasy so I think I'll skip We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, but it definitely sounds like a good choice for lovers of the genre. Thank you for your great review!
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by jennydelacruz »

"This actually made me want to read We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, the sequel of this book, so I’ll know how Galen’s role will grow and how his influence will affect Voulhire."

I guess the author got everybody hooked! I am also excited to read the sequel and the rest of the books on this series!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sou Hi »

xsquare wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 00:10 Having just read and reviewed this book myself, I have to agree that there was a disconnect between Galen and the book's major conflict. However, this actually made the book more interesting to me as I treated them as two parallel storylines, and I'm quite eager to see where they merge. Thanks for the great review!
Yea, some readers have found the first book confusing because Galen and Lord Eldus have no connection. I myself assumed that both of them were the main characters, until the loss of Lord Eldus. But as you said, if we view them in separate storylines, we will understand. I think that's partially why the author let Galen's narrating his own part, while Lord Eldus' part is from the third point of view.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

Insightful review. I have written a review myself but has not been aproved yet but i think this is a good example. Thanks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”