Review by lavenderbooks20 -- The Decision

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review by lavenderbooks20 -- The Decision

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Decision" by Michael D. Komeshak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the news about the UFO arrival in New York broke out, the world has shaken. The internet was rife of conspiracy theories and doomsday prophecies. Many expected the world would fall that day. So it was confounding when the aliens said they came in peace; and as a matter of fact, they meant to offer the human civilization help in achieving greatness. But only if the humans would concur. As a result, a mix of thirteen representatives was chosen all from across the globe to make the decision. These “chosen ones” were composed of six UN ambassadors and seven ordinary civilians each with varying ethnicities, religions, sexes, and economic backgrounds. On the first day, they must decide on the most dangerous man-made threat on Earth. They could choose one thing, and the aliens will get rid of it, or they could choose nothing, and the aliens will leave the planet for good. Whatever decision they make determines what happens the next day and its consequences.

The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak is a sci-fi novel that talks about the problems of the modern world in a philosophical lens. It has a raw portrayal of human nature. It shows how human beings, when pushed in a desperate situation, have both the ability to harm and help, to rectify, and as well as be detrimental to the world.

There were so many things I liked about this book. Aside from being something deep and morally serious, I particularly liked the voice of the protagonist—Jason. He was so ordinary, and very much a flawed human being. He’s not so righteous. At times, his opinions were malleable. He had his own beliefs and morals but occasionally finds himself questioning everything he knew as well. The rest of the characters were much nuanced too, and they had realistic dialogues.

The author’s vast knowledge of different religions and belief systems was evident in his work. It had proverbs, verses, and quotes that are fitting to a certain narrative. I found the debates interesting as they were written based on all angles—history, faith, logic, and empirical data.

As the story progressed, it gets more intriguing. I’m almost always at the edge of my seat—even found myself covering the next few lines with my hand just for the thrill of it. Everything was neatly wrapped towards the end. All my questions were answered, and the ending, to me, was justified enough.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I dislike about it. It was brilliantly written and well-edited. I only found a couple of minor typographical errors. I heartily recommend this to anyone who might not be much of a sci-fi fan but into stories with thought-provoking premises. It contains profanity—even a handful of racial slurs spewed for the sake of characterization. It has sexual innuendos and minimal erotic scenes so I do not recommend this to children. Also, beware that this book had indications of self-harm and suicide that might not be suitable for those who are sensitive to it.

The Decision
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

What a book! The storyline sounds thrilling; even though its very unlikely the aliens come to place an ultimatum. Rid anything?! There are so many things to aim at- world hunger, cancer, war. Also I don't know if the aliens are like those tricky genies who come with a double edged sword- they say you'll get so, but with a price. Awesome job on the review! It has been sometime when I have gone on ranting like this. hahah!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

When I think about what I would choose to rid off when confronted with such a decision, I just get overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of such a decision. What happens after they remove it? What can of worms will they unlock in the process? I'll just have to read it and find out. Very interesting concept and review too!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That's quite a decision. I'm not sure a group that size would be able to come up with a consensus about what to eliminate. I'm curious what happens and what the group decides. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Justine Ocsebio
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

derialist wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 13:11 When I think about what I would choose to rid off when confronted with such a decision, I just get overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of such a decision. What happens after they remove it? What can of worms will they unlock in the process? I'll just have to read it and find out. Very interesting concept and review too!
I wouldn’t know what to do too! The world has plethora of problems and it would really be difficult to choose the gravest one to eliminate. That’s what makes this book intriguing.

Thanks for coming by! I appreciate your comment :)
Justine Ocsebio

rahilshajahan wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 12:11 What a book! The storyline sounds thrilling; even though its very unlikely the aliens come to place an ultimatum. Rid anything?! There are so many things to aim at- world hunger, cancer, war. Also I don't know if the aliens are like those tricky genies who come with a double edged sword- they say you'll get so, but with a price. Awesome job on the review! It has been sometime when I have gone on ranting like this. hahah!
I, too, was skeptical of the aliens’ true intentions until the very end. One character in this book said, “Beware the stranger bearing gifts.” That gave me goosebumps! :D

Thanks for your wonderful comment!
Justine Ocsebio

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 18:59 Wow! That's quite a decision. I'm not sure a group that size would be able to come up with a consensus about what to eliminate. I'm curious what happens and what the group decides. Thanks.
It’s indeed the hardest decision to make. Thanks for your comment! :)
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

Wow, thanks for that great review. I haven't read an alien story for quite a while and I think this one may be a good start. The storyline sounds quite intriguing. Who would trust aliens anyway, I think I would not be able to? So those representatives tasked with making the right choice for every human being might have been very brave people and of course which makes the novel even more interesting.
Justine Ocsebio

Mukukamm30 wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 02:13 Wow, thanks for that great review. I haven't read an alien story for quite a while and I think this one may be a good start. The storyline sounds quite intriguing. Who would trust aliens anyway, I think I would not be able to? So those representatives tasked with making the right choice for every human being might have been very brave people and of course which makes the novel even more interesting.
That’s another mystery of the story. How were they chosen exactly to represent an entire human race? Thanks for you wonderful words! I hope you have a good read :D
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I love the storyline of this book! I also enjoyed reading your detailed and engaging review. Good job and thanks for your recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio

Vic Chimezie wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 08:21 I love the storyline of this book! I also enjoyed reading your detailed and engaging review. Good job and thanks for your recommendation.
Thank you for your kind words ✨
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Your review is so captivating and interesting. It makes me want to read that book really bad. Thanks for the great writing
Justine Ocsebio

Josep22 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 04:09 Your review is so captivating and interesting. It makes me want to read that book really bad. Thanks for the great writing
Thank you for your comment!
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

Your review is very detailed, I am not so much interesting in sci-fi but I think I will follow your recommendation. Great review.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

A book that talks about a single global decision will make an interesting read. I'll love this one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”