Review by Czarina Grace -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Czarina Grace
Currently Reading: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarina-grace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Czarina Grace -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Czarina Grace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a book I’d willingly read over again. It was a fantastic book with rich world-building and vibrant characters that engrossed me even on its first page. The story is enchanting, with a deep plot that is both animated and dynamic, quickly hooking me chapter after chapter. Overall it’s a book I’d rate with a perfect score and recommend it to anyone who likes reading fantasy.

In summary, the story is an introduction to the great city of Voulhire and the adventure of a war refuge named Galen. Naïve and unaware of the Voulhirian ways, he struggles to adapt in this brilliant and vivacious city, and later finds his place among them as he starts his journey to be a renowned blacksmith.

The exposition and grammar of this book are exceptional. Although it does not follow what I would loosely quote as standard formatting, I am a firm believer that each book should be true to its story core. For this book, in particular, using a free-flowing and almost rhythmic transcription only heightens my experience, helping me imagine a whole new world set back in time with a very different culture, speech patterns, and society from my own. The consistency from start to finish also creates a unique depth that works as a prelude for the other books to come.

There is one thing I disliked about the book, and it was the introduction of too many characters. I was already quite attached to the main character, Galen, and his adventures when other different characters such as Eldus and Riva drag me across the continent for other completely unrelated endeavors. Despite this, I’m giving the book full credit since I understand all these details are in preparation for the next book. I am confident the author will answer all these hanging questions if I continue the series. Despite its drawbacks, Eldus and Riva are also amazing characters, one whose plots I very much enjoyed.

Although I give high praise to the book, I understand it is not for everybody. To truly appreciate the book, a reader must be interested in reading fiction, one with a bit of scientific background. The reader must also be invested in solving mysteries and understanding philosophies underlying the plot because, with this, character interaction gets a lot more fascinating. The reader must also have patience and open-mindedness because this book has a slow pace. I believe this is so that the reader can grow at the same pace with how the characters do in the story.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a book I genuinely adore, and I sincerely hope the next reader does too. I believe there is high potential in both the book and the great Voulhire, which will become more evident in the upcoming series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”