Review by Tan TR -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Tan TR -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Tan TR »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is the beginning of a great series. A series that seems a bit simple at first, yet it holds your attention all throughout. The adventure begins when Galen, a young man, is finally able to leave the death of the Lands of the Princes behind. He was contacted by his dying uncle, a blacksmith in the small city of Magnum Caelum, to come and take over his forge. Once in Voulhire, Galen meets new people and goes on to discover the art of giving form to metal.

However, there is a building tension in the land of Voulhire. There are old, magical forces plotting to escape their shackles. The deadly legend of Lord Meldorath is haunting the minds of the people. The Riva Rohavi, a resistance group, are starting to move against the King. And there is a power struggle between King Wilhelm and the chancellor Midius Maido. What perils are to befall the peaceful land of Voulhire?

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is but the beginning, the introduction, of a great new world of fantasy and possibility. A story that surrounds the idea of there being two worlds: a physical one and a magical one. And I was hooked from the first chapters.

One of the things I enjoyed the most, was the wide perspective through the use of multiple of characters. The author used a lot of characters to tell parts of the same story, which gives the reader a wider overview of all the things that are happening. It was also easier to follow the story because of it.

The book is written in a somewhat simple way of writing. The vocabulary isn’t sophisticated, which also means that it is easy for almost anyone to follow along. However, the words hold a poetic rhythm to them, e.g.: “Like a fool in love, I stared right up into it.” It can also be seen in the following sentences, “And then, he would unravel the hold itself,” and “May you never feel shame, and always walk among those who love you.”

Furthermore, I couldn't find anything I disliked about the book. I would have liked a little more insight into what might happen in the future, but that curiosity prompts the reader to seek out the next book. It was also professionally edited and I could find no mistakes. Therefore, taking everything into consideration I have to give this book four out of four stars. I could not give it any less, because it was an exciting story that pulled me in from the beginning. I am also exciting to continue reading the series.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys fantasy. Anyone that likes stories of mages and kings. I would like to mention that there are deaths and some acts imply pedophilia, yet I believe this book is apt for young teenagers and for older audiences as well.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”