Review by Wyzdomania_Gskillz -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Wyzdomania_Gskillz -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz writes a classic story in his book, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. It is the first in his science fiction series 'We are Voulhire'. Its story is set in Voulhire, a beautiful kingdom with breathtaking skies, refreshing oceans, colorful vegetation and a good dose of magical magi. The most feared of these magi is Lord Meldorath, who is believed to wield so much magical power that Wilhelm Arcolo, king of Voulhire, had to lock him away and pronounce him dead to the inhabitants of his kingdom. Only a few close and trusted loyalists of the king knew the real truth, among which was Lord Eldus, a newly appointed lord assigned to take over the town of Hillport from the presumed late Meldorath.

The book opens with the arrival of Galen Fray to Voulhire from the war torn Land of the Princes. He is mesmerized by the beauty, wonder and prosperity of the kingdom, even as he is unsure of what lies ahead for him as he takes over his late uncle’s blacksmithing business. Lord Eldus also arrives Hillport with his family to take up the task of charting a new course of prosperity and growth for the vicinity. He begins to unravel a lot of mysteries that challenge his ability to reassure the people of this town that there is hope for their land.

The book leaves a lot of questions unanswered as it serves to introduce the series. Will Meldorath awaken to bring vengeance on the king and his loyalists? Will Galen succeed in filling his uncle’s shoes and achieve something worthwhile in this new prosperous land? Can Lord Eldus conquer the evils of his predecessors that haunts both him and the people of this land he has been sent to help? The author, however, paints a clear picture of the political tension of this great kingdom, as he details the personalities of its major ruling characters.

The author delivered this incredible book with a masterful descriptive style of writing. His use of imagery in the description of the magical nature of the Voulhirian kingdom was exceptional. He also switches the narrative perspective from a first person narrative style in the case of Galen’s side of the story, to a third person narrative style for other characters of the book. I loved how engaging the conversations were, and how they could be easily visualized by the reader. The book is suspenseful from start to finish, and this kept me delightfully engaged throughout.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would gladly rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked about the book, there were no grammatical or spelling errors, and even though there were few hints of profanity, it doesn’t constitute much of a discomfort to any adult reader. The book is suitable for anyone that loves a good fictional fantasy book. I’m looking forward to reading the other books in this series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I am glad that you also enjoyed reading this book, because I also did. Great review!
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Budhal »

Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 14:59The author delivered this incredible book with a masterful descriptive style of writing. His use of imagery in the description of the magical nature of the Voulhirian kingdom was exceptional.
I second that
What isn't said is as important as what is said.
moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by moonopam »

Voulhile seem to be a beautiful kingdom full of beautiful scenery. There are also politics which is the case everywhere today. I like the story . Nice review Matthew 👍.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”