Review by ThePinkerTheBetter -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thepinkerthebetter.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by ThePinkerTheBetter -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

Post by ThePinkerTheBetter »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before diving into this book, I read through the author’s profile and had a look at some of his other productions. I was immediately drawn to Matthew Tysz’s style and choice of themes and genres. It seemed to me that he has a very special way of thinking and an amazing imagination since I noticed that all of his books are original and unique. My suppositions were proved right when I started to read We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies.

The book tells the story of a young boy named Galen Bray as he leaves his home at Magnum Caleum and travels to Voulhire. Having had his homeland destroyed by war, this new place and his right to claim his uncle’s heritage seem to be a great opportunity to start over with his life. Voulhire is an enormous empire run by King Wilhelm, who has to deal with rumors and superstitions about Lord Meldorath, who supposedly had died a long time ago, being alive. Wilhelm’s rule is not only threatened by the possibility of this evil lord coming back from “death”, but also by the activity of Riva Rohavi, a rebellious group.

There are lots of characters, so I found the reference guide linked at the beginning very helpful. I loved their names and how their personalities and physiques were expressed through the description. There are also lots of different settings, so the map was a good idea since it allowed me to visualize everything.

I think it is important to mention that I personally found it a bit slow at the beginning, which is the only negative thing I can point out. Something that I consider would keep any reader engaged is the constant change of perspective. Some chapters are narrated from the first person’s point of view and others from the third person’s point of view. This provides a deeper insight into the story and the characters, allowing the reader to get more involved in everything that is going on on both sides of the story.

No scenes contain explicit violence or erotism, but I think it is important to point out it does have some vulgar words. I didn’t spot a single error. The language is rich but not hard to understand at all. It is an easy, quick, and engaging read that I would recommend if you are into fantasy and magic. If you are a Game of Thrones fan you should not hesitate to read this book.

I can say that We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has it all. From amazingly built characters to very well described scenarios. The reference guide and the map provided a unique reading experience. Tysz created a whole new world from scratch, along with a catching story, which is why I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The is an amazing series. I’ve read this book and I agree with your points. Great review!
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I have read several reviews about the books in this series, so sounds like this is an interesting science fiction series. I enjoyed your review as well and hope to give this book a try, soon. Thanks for the great review!
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 11:28 I have read several reviews about the books in this series, so sounds like this is an interesting science fiction series. I enjoyed your review as well and hope to give this book a try, soon. Thanks for the great review!
It is very interesting indeed! Thanks for your reply! :D
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:

Honest-reviewer wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 09:17 The is an amazing series. I’ve read this book and I agree with your points. Great review!
Thanks for your comment! :D
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I think it is important to mention that I personally found it a bit slow at the beginning, which is the only negative thing I can point out. Very true. The beginning was kinda slow. Anyways it was an awesome read. Good job on the review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have read and reviewed this too and I agree that it's a bit slow at the start. Nice comparison to GoT by the way! Thanks for this wonderful review. :)
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Having read and reviewed this one, I totally agree with your perfect rating. Great review.
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

Similar to you, I also enjoyed reading this fantastic book. It actually reminds me of Game of Thrones as they both share similar genres, but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has its unique charm. Great review!
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:

rahilshajahan wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 11:31 I think it is important to mention that I personally found it a bit slow at the beginning, which is the only negative thing I can point out. Very true. The beginning was kinda slow. Anyways it was an awesome read. Good job on the review!
Thanks for stopping by! :D
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:

NDeMeer wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 03:09 I have read and reviewed this too and I agree that it's a bit slow at the start. Nice comparison to GoT by the way! Thanks for this wonderful review. :)
Thank you for your comment!!
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:

Josep22 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 03:58 Having read and reviewed this one, I totally agree with your perfect rating. Great review.
Thank you very much! :D
ThePinkerTheBetter
Currently Reading:

aaurba wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 08:32 Similar to you, I also enjoyed reading this fantastic book. It actually reminds me of Game of Thrones as they both share similar genres, but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has its unique charm. Great review!
Yes, it does! Thanks for your comment!
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

This book has earned a lot of positive reviews lately. I will give it a read soon. Thanks for this great review.
greatbexpectations
Currently Reading: A Wizard of Earthsea
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatbexpectations.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by greatbexpectations »

This is a wonderfully thorough review! I definitely look forward to picking this book up soon (and maybe even the rest of the series). I appreciate the mention of multiple perspectives/narrators as it is one of my favorite styles. Thanks for sharing your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”