Review by samps1910 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
samps1910
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by samps1910 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by samps1910 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This science-fiction novel is all about the kingdom of Voulhire, a land of dreams to which the protagonist of the book, Galen Bray, arrives. Galen comes from the Land of Princes, which was a place based on survival. He barely knows the ways of life as followed in Voulhire. He is taken around the city by a character named Rowan, who is a little shady, leaving us to wonder what the mystery surrounding him is. Galen has to take up his great uncle's business and become a blacksmith, with only a book by his uncle to teach him and Rowan is doing his best to help him. It is going to be interesting to see the character development in the next books. There are multiple characters included, and their stories are in the third person. Each of it leaves us wondering what is going to happen next.

Matthew Tysz has done a marvellous job in weaving suspense into the plot. The storyline is complicated, although he has done a great job in keeping it simple for the reader to follow along. The story flows well, despite the change in characters and POVs. He has made the reader think with every change in narration. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time to figure it out, but it seems that I am going to be left hanging until the next book!

What I loved most about the book was the unravelling of each character's story and then eventually merging into one storyline. It blew my mind to see everything come together despite being so different. It was pleasing to read, and I loved the writing style as well. Tysz has done an incredible job in drawing in the reader. It almost looks effortless!

There was nothing I found to dislike about the book. It seemed professionally edited as I found no errors while reading. The book did not have any erotic scenes, but it did have a few instances of profane language that may not appeal to some people.

I would rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars . The storyline is intriguing, grabbing the attention of the story from the first paragraph, and I don't mean to exaggerate! I would recommend this work to adults who enjoy suspense-packed books, with a storyline with no real focus on romance.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”