Review by DetbaTogno -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DetbaTogno
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-detbatogno.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by DetbaTogno -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by DetbaTogno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first installment in the new series by Matthew Tysz. We are first introduced into this new world by following Galen’s journey as he crossed the sea to leave his war-torn homeland. A relative he has never known left him an inheritance. And for the first time in his life, he has a glimpse of hope.

However, the utopia that is Voulhire is nothing but an illusion. Beneath its flawless surface, trouble is brewing. The threat of the rebels Riva Rohavi is still lurking. Their silence is starting to concern the high-ranking officials of the kingdom. On the southern shores, one of the provinces is still dealing with the uncertainty caused by the evil deeds performed by one of the most powerful wizards in their history. And on the capitol, King Wilhelm is in a constant battle of wits against the Mianoran Knights.

As the first book in the series, this installment has the challenge of captivating the imagination and interest of the readers while leaving them hungry for more. And boy, does it deliver. This book creates a world that is familiar but different, comfortable but dangerous, detailed yet mysterious.

Also, the contrast between the perspectives used in the different storylines is evident, and as a reader, I appreciate that. I do not enjoy reading about characters that are practically the same. The wide-eyed, child-like wonder from Galen is refreshing, while the frustrations from King Wilhelm add to the tension that makes this story intriguing. The few clues revealed throughout the story keep the interest alive. Those mysteries that slowly unfold, they let the readers know that there is much more to the story. The different perspectives also tell us that there are layers to this world, and I cannot wait to explore every one of them.

Though we already have several revelations in this publication, there are still so many unknowns. For every question answered, another one arises, giving more room for this world to expand. And that is a good thing for the future installments in this series.

As for the grammatical errors, they are minimal. And I was so engrossed in discovering this new world that I can overlook them.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This publication did a great job of introducing this new world but still keeping it mysterious. The characters are relatable and interesting. I can’t wait for their development as the series progresses. Though there are errors, they are minimal. I almost did not notice them. So if you are looking for your next read, I highly recommend this one.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”