Review by Yunareign -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yunareign
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yunareign.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by Yunareign -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Yunareign »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fantasy is often so surreal that it’s difficult to grasp and too beautiful to ever be real but there are often things happening behind the scenes that we just don’t see. Matthew Tysz does a magnificent job of showcasing exactly this in We are Voulhire A New Arrival Under Great Skies. He weaves a story unlike any other from the perspective of many people to show how the world is unfolding. These people are presented with unimaginable horrors and delights that the magic of this world is capable of. Through this, the story takes hold and compels everyone forward to find their place and fight for their existence.

Matthew Tysz writes as though he is magic incarnate allowing words to ceaselessly flow through him and magically appear to describe the scenes in his mind. The dialogue in his book is abundant and never difficult to read through, you always know who is talking and to who they address. He also describes the scenery in a way that one can imagine their presence within it. What I like the most of all was his uncanny ability to express the feelings of his characters so powerfully.

Dangers both magical and mundane lurk around every corner and keep the reader invested in characters rich with personality. There was nothing in this book that I could bring myself to dislike other than death looming around every corner due to the nature of this world. The characters were so carefully written and given such depth that I can’t bring myself to not mourn them. The scenes in which we may lose them are so powerful that you can’t turn away, not even for a moment, that I dislike the discomfort of the mere idea that life will fall.

Without a doubt, in my mind, this book has earned itself a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was so exquisitely and perfectly written that I almost couldn’t bring myself to stop reading and tend to mundane tasks. The scenes were so powerful and full of awe that the dialogue only emphasized that it was as though I was watching these characters on screen. I say such because it was as though I could hear them and see their expressions making it all the more enthralling to read. It allowed me a deeper understanding of the characters and the happenings of this world as though I was a part of it.

Within the book lies some explicit content, such as vulgar language, that leads me to believe that, while teens could read this, it is meant for young adults and older. There is war in this book and manipulative characters that speak in ways that may be difficult for younger audiences to grasp. It also references sexual themes that some may not wish to read about let alone have exposed to teens or younger. If teens were to read this I think it would be best under the guidance of an adult. They could work through the story together and have a more thorough understanding of why certain things were said and done.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”