Review by Tonika632 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Review by Tonika632 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Tonika632 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A great king once had four sons. Like many other brothers, they all fought each other, seeking the kingdom. The king was called The Emperor of Lullabies. To keep the peace between his sons, he shared his islands to them. Soulhire was a metropolis of the Voulhire. It was set between two beautiful rivers, Ordo and Liber. The peace was present for a long time until the threat that enemies carried became a problem.

The story follows a young boy Galen who travels to Magnum Caelum, a town in Voulhire. His uncle is on his death bed, and he seeks for Galen. But what is the real purpose of Galen’s trip?

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy novel and is also the first book of the same name series. This book is short for a fantasy book, but it is very engaging and rich. There are various names, terms, places, and people that fit in this story perfectly. The author wrapped this book up with unique terms and names appropriate for one fantasy book.

The map that the author provided us at the beginning of the book helped me a lot at imagining the scenery. There are many chapters in the book, and every chapter is dedicated to one of the characters. This book is written in both first and third person. There are two stories where one of them follows Galen, and the other one talks about the condition in Voulhire. Those stories do not meet at the end of the book, which is pretty unexpected.

One thing I didn’t like was a great number of characters. In general, it is difficult for me to remember the names of so many characters, and in this case, I think that the characters are not sufficiently developed. I didn’t feel any connection with them, and I easily lost my attention while reading the book. I would also like to read more about Voulhire itself, about its streets, cities, and rivers. I was surprised to see that there are no page numbers provided in the book, and I would definitely change that.

There is a bit of profanity and no erotic scenes present in the book. I have found no errors, and I can tell this book is exceptionally well-edited.

To sum everything up, I enjoyed reading this book. It was slow-paced but yet exciting. I am thrilled to read the rest of the series. I am giving it 4 out of 4 stars for the original content and story. I recommend this book to any fantasy and fiction lovers. This book is not suitable for the younger audience since there is profanity present in it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

In this book I loved the descriptions of the Caromentis and the very idea of it :) Thanks for this great review!
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I can see what you mean with the number of characters; with so many main characters and switching perspective all the time, it can get confusing and it's hard to really connect with the characters. Glad you enjoyed the book enough to give 4 stars though! I very much enjoyed it too :)
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is indeed a great book! So far I’ve read 3 books of this series and I like them all. Brilliant review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”