Review by Arohi Soren -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arohi Soren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arohi-soren.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Arohi Soren -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Arohi Soren »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Escaping from a land of war, Galen Bray immigrates to Voulhire, the country of prosperity. Voulhire promises every possibility that a traveler can dream. From his very first day, Galen could not take his eyes off the wonders that this magnificent country has to offer. But where there is light, there is also darkness. Lurking in the shadows of its glittering riches lies an ominous monstrosity waiting to take over.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies takes the readers on an adventure over unknown lands. Voulhire is a world full of magic and mystery. But the magic here is not just for the sake of magic. It is a learned art. Its functioning and practices are scholarly. There are different fields of magic that are practiced and studied by different kinds of mages. They work under the king for the people. But malice lies even in the heart of such scholars. These mages thirst for power so, they will stop at nothing to conquer this world and beyond.

When Galen arrived in Voulhire, he knew nothing of this world or the world that lay beyond this cosmos. His curiosity will eventually teach him the workings of this country and its people. As an aspiring blacksmith, he will find out about unique metals and elements that he has never heard of before. While his wide-eyed wonder makes him innocent and vulnerable, his kindness keeps him in the company of loyal and helpful friends. Over time, Galen will learn more and discover Voulhire for the good and the bad.

What struck me most about this book was the prose style. Fantasy genre usually does not use elegant prose, but this book certainly does not skip out on it. I loved Matthew Tysz’s intricately formed narrative style. His words presented hope and chaos so beautifully that it moved me. This book does a marvelous job of providing an introduction to what is to come. I am excited about reading the next books in this series. That said, there was not anything that I disliked about this book.

I wholeheartedly give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz a 4 out of 4 stars. This book has everything that I usually look for in a fantasy series. The exposition, the character backgrounds, proper functioning magic, and memorable characters make up this brilliant fantasy world to immerse yourself. The book has impeccable editing. There are a few swear words here and there. It would be suitable for a wide age range from teenagers to adults.

As the author said, this is an introduction novel, so it comprises more of base information than a progressive plot. But that does not stop this book from being fascinating. It is the first one in a nine-book series, so it shows the background arc of most characters. Some questions are unanswered and left for the upcoming books. The book has a compelling take on inner workings of magic and establishes a fantasy world complete with a map. I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers who have time and patience to delve into a different world.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”