Review by jennydelacruz -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by jennydelacruz -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by jennydelacruz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Once there lived a wise and wicked ruler…

Those first few words got me instantly hooked! It sounded like a classic fairy tale! We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the We are Voulhire fantasy series.

We are introduced to the story of Galen Bray from the Lands of the Princes. The King had given each of his four sons an island to rule. These small islands were once beautiful and prosperous until the princes competed to rule the entire chain of islands and to eventually become the heir of their father’s empire. The princes were engaged in a civil war for years. Living in any of the islands ruled by the princes means death by a sword or hunger. Galen Bray received papers and instructions from a distant relative to be the heir of his business. Given the way of life in the Land of the Princes, he didn’t stop and consider any details. He immediately set off to travel to a land that is far away from these wars and undesirable living conditions.

Why did the relative choose Galen as the heir for his business, someone who lives so far from him? Is the life in the new kingdom different from the land that he had escaped from? What awaits Galen in this new, unfamiliar place?

First and foremost, I would like to commend the considerably young author for this masterpiece. The exciting plot and the rich story would make a lovely and interesting tv series. The use of words set the tone of the medieval era. Tysz has effectively made use of his talents in providing vivid descriptions consistent and relevant to the language used. One example is, “his silken red beard swaying in the breeze as he bowed low.” The book is packed with adventure, magic, history, treachery, mystery, and all other elements that we commonly find in a magical kingdom kind of setting/story.

I feel the story is a bit slow at some point. Many characters were introduced at the beginning that I have had some difficulty managing to remember. That is the only thing that I dislike about the book. This is a personal preference, therefore, there is no need to take it against the book and deduct a point. As I continued, the characters were developed eventually and I get to understand their participation and involvement, not to mention their intentions. I also came to understand that since this is a series of books, there are more attributes of the characters that will be provided in the next series.

I found no errors that I consider the book professionally written and edited. There were instances of profanity, mentioned of death, and somewhat disturbing mentioned of sex that may be unsuitable for young and/or conservative readers.

I, therefore, conclude that We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz deserves a four out of four stars rating. I would recommend the book to readers of fantasy novels. If you enjoy reading books or watching series similar to Game of Thrones, you may find the book interesting.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

You are right, this series would make a great TV show :) The first book is an engaging premise for the series, and the trio of friends (especially Demetrius) is my favorite. Thanks for a great review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Ellylion wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 04:51 You are right, this series would make a great TV show :) The first book is an engaging premise for the series, and the trio of friends (especially Demetrius) is my favorite. Thanks for a great review!
Yes Ellylion, this book will make a great movie.
Jennydelacruz, please don't stop there. The second book is even more interesting.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Seroney_ »

I have watched a bit of GOT and it's really amazing. I am also reviewing the book and based on your review, I'll enjoy it.
Amazing review
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html

Post by Miks_solon »

I don't enjoy GOT series but I love how you described the book. I think I'm having a copy for myself. Great review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I completely agree with your points! The author has done a great job. Brilliant review!
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: One moment, just an eternity by Smaragdi Mitropoulou

Post by Elvis Best »

Excellent review, Jenny. The first lines have me hooked too. I'm def looking forward to reading this book.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Elvis Best wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 16:47 Excellent review, Jenny. The first lines have me hooked too. I'm def looking forward to reading this book.
Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 09:47 I completely agree with your points! The author has done a great job. Brilliant review!
Miks_solon wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 05:11 I don't enjoy GOT series but I love how you described the book. I think I'm having a copy for myself. Great review.
Seroney_ wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 04:43 I have watched a bit of GOT and it's really amazing. I am also reviewing the book and based on your review, I'll enjoy it.
Amazing review
Olabode Joshua wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 01:53
Ellylion wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 04:51 You are right, this series would make a great TV show :) The first book is an engaging premise for the series, and the trio of friends (especially Demetrius) is my favorite. Thanks for a great review!
Yes Ellylion, this book will make a great movie.
Jennydelacruz, please don't stop there. The second book is even more interesting.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my review and or leaving insightful comments. I really appreciate it :) :romance-grouphug:
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I loved Tysz's descriptive writing style as well. I agree with your point that a lot of characters were introduced at once at the start. Thanks for the great review!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

xsquare wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 01:43 I loved Tysz's descriptive writing style as well. I agree with your point that a lot of characters were introduced at once at the start. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you so much for your comments, square :)
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

jennydelacruz wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 03:04
While you got instantly hooked because of that line, my fascination with the book progressively develops as I read the first chapter from beginning to end.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I so enjoyed this book that I had to pick up the second one immediately. Beautiful and well detailed review you have here, friend.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not generally drawn to fantasy books but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies sounds like a well-crafted novel; a good choice for fans of the genre. Thank you for your great review!
Latest Review: #19 by Randi Tetlow
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

xsquare wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 01:43 I loved Tysz's descriptive writing style as well. I agree with your point that a lot of characters were introduced at once at the start. Thanks for the great review!
His descriptive writing style, if I may, is quite enchanting. Thank you for your comments, xsquare :)
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

aaurba wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 06:22
jennydelacruz wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 03:04
While you got instantly hooked because of that line, my fascination with the book progressively develops as I read the first chapter from beginning to end.
To each his own, I guess. The entire book is indeed fascinating! Thank you, aaurba :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”