Review by Aisha_123 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha_123
2021 Reading Goal: 55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Aisha_123 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Aisha_123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. It takes us on an adventure to a country called Voulhire. Galen is the heir to his uncle’s forge and estate in the next country of Voulhire. He grew up in the Land of the Princes where there has been an ongoing war for 20 years. It was a great joy for him to be able to leave his birth country. The journey to Voulhire was a tough ride but he pulled through. He arrived at Magnum Caelum where his uncle lived. After settling, he began the process of taking over his uncle’s smithing business.

A small town in the south by the name of Hillport has had two lords kick the bucket in the span of 6 months. These lords inputted fear and tension in the villagers. The first lord, Lord Orlin being a pedophile while the second, Lord Meldorath being a mage, performing forbidden practices. These practices made him feared by the villages with doubts of him dead. The King of Voulhire sent another lord, Lord Eldus to restore the town and bring forth peace and prosperity. But will Lord Eldus be able to restore the peace while a force looms in the shadows, plotting and scheming?

Matthew Tyszs’ way of storytelling is undoubtedly remarkable. His description of Voulhire was vivid and interesting. This made the book hard to put down. The story is divided into chapters where each chapter is written in the first person from the main characters’ pov. This made it easier to flow with the story without confusion. It also sparked a bit of suspense. I was eager to know what happened next.

The character, Galen strikes as a kind person. Although, his persona was not talked on in detail. His executor, Rowan is quite a humorous character. He had his flaws of being a sexist which made him less likeable. Lord Eldus showed a bit of naivety while ruling over the town. His lack of scepticism put him in the dark and most likely was the end of him. The antagonist, Lord Meldorath is portrayed mysterious. I couldn’t assert whether he was good, bad or evil. Hopefully, in the subsequent books, he would be shown in detail.

I only disliked a few things. The format of the book I received was not paginated. There was also a glossary at the beginning of the book which I find discouraging. However, I did not need to use the glossary but some words can be foreign to a few readers. Going back and forth while reading an e-book can be dispiriting. Also, the book cannot be read as a standalone. There would be questions hanging in the air at the end of the book. Nevertheless, I liked and enjoyed most of this short read.

I found no errors while reading. There wasn’t a lot of profane languages used though it was enough for the book to be read by only adults. There was also quite a handful of sexual-related parts. This book will be suited to adults who love a good book on imagination and magic. I strongly advice to not read if you do not like cliffhangers and books in a series. And on this note, I award We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies four out of four stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lunastella
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: My Not-So Secret
Bookshelf Size: 1991
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Depression Where by Briana Isham

Post by Lunastella »

This seems like a good read for those who enjoy fantasy or sci-fi, but I don't understand what you disliked about the glossary. Perhaps it was not hyperlinked to the words? Because I often found them very helpful.
Great review!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Lunastella wrote: ↑27 Aug 2020, 09:51 This seems like a good read for those who enjoy fantasy or sci-fi, but I don't understand what you disliked about the glossary. Perhaps it was not hyperlinked to the words? Because I often found them very helpful.
Great review!
No, they weren't hyperlinked but it was discouraging. My mind before reading was I would need to be going back and forth which makes reading less interesting. Thank you!
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have enjoyed this book too, but I agree that reading it as a standalone leaves the plot somewhat unfinished at the end. Thank you for your insights on this wonderful novel!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I am so glad you pointed out the sexist aspect of Rowan. His character is so charming but it is very difficult to like him because of this reason. Thank you for the review!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

NDeMeer wrote: ↑27 Aug 2020, 11:39 I have enjoyed this book too, but I agree that reading it as a standalone leaves the plot somewhat unfinished at the end. Thank you for your insights on this wonderful novel!
Thank you!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Zainabreadsnow wrote: ↑27 Aug 2020, 11:55 I am so glad you pointed out the sexist aspect of Rowan. His character is so charming but it is very difficult to like him because of this reason. Thank you for the review!
Thank you!
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I agree i loved Rowen too, his multiple relationships just added sweetness to the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”