Review by derialist -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by derialist -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by derialist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lands of the Princes is an empire that is experiencing an upheaval following a civil war caused by the four sons of the Emperor of Lullabies. Due to this, there is widespread fear because regardless of whether you were deprived or wealthy, you couldn't feel secure. After all, being wealthy made you a target for the princes because you were suspected of aiding the enemies’ troops. On the other hand, being poor meant you were likely to starve to death while living among the diseased.

This turbulent life is all that Galen has known. It’s no wonder that when a chance to leave his homeland presents itself, he does so assertively, despite the uncertainties that the long trip to Voulhire presents.

Voulhire is a state that is ahead of its time in terms of structural developments and economic progress. At about this time, Voulhire is ushering in a new era, the golden era, which will see Voulhire progress further towards its Utopian vision.

Beneath Voulhire’s extravagant exterior, Voulhire is a struggling nation, much like any other. You can’t call Hillport a grand city by any standard. Poor leadership offered by its two previous Lords has caused it to languish economically. Its people are uneducated, but they work harder than anyone else in the country. The Riva Rohavi, an infamous insurgent group, loves dishing out trouble to Voulhirian cities at unexpected times. Is this all the progressive nation of Voulhire has to worry about? or are evil machinations scheming a calamitous end for Voulhire?

We Are Voulhire: The New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the introductory novel into the "We Are Voulhire" series. I was impressed by the presentation of the world of Voulhire. In particular, the cities, which have a vast cultural heritage that intrigued me. To illustrate, the city of Soulhire (Voulhire’s capital) is where you would find the gentry and the King’s castle. Yamon Soul is a religious city, which imposes stringent rules regarding visits. The people of Hillport are hard-working people, yet they live a simple life. This set me on an expedition of discovery where I felt like a tourist exploring the enchanted world of Voulhire.

Owing to the work that went into bringing the world of Voulhire into life, the book can feel a bit of a slow read, but the presence of fascinating characters brought the much-needed lightness into the story. For instance, Rowan is a creative character, who knows a great deal about Voulhire as a nation. He also has amazing intuition about a person’s motivations depending on which part of Voulhire they hail from. Rowan sometimes comes off as crude, but he is loyal. Marshus, Lord Eldus’s son, comes off as confident and a bit of a joker, but cloaked beneath this demeanor is a quiet intelligence that captivated me.

I mentioned enchanted while describing Voulhire earlier on. Yes, at its heart this story is a fantasy one, which includes magical elements. As this is an introductory book, there wasn’t much of magic, but the little that was there set the tone for what to expect in the other books, which I’m incredibly excited for. The ending was suspenseful, which left me with the desire to pick up where I left, but unfortunately, I couldn’t. I have no complaints about the book, including the quality of the editing. With that, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Lovers of the fantasy genre will be glad they read this book as I did. However, I wouldn’t recommend it for children due to occasional profanities and mature content. Also, there isn’t any offensive content that I flagged to make it an uncomfortable read based on individual beliefs.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I agree, Tysz always manages to create profound and engaging characters :) Thanks for a great review!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful. Good job and thanks for your recommendation.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

After starting with the second installation of this exciting series, I am currently reading this book. Reading through has made me plan to finish it as Soon as possible. Great work!
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The book was an awesome opener to the series. I am looking forward to reading the second installment. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Cazrichmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cazrichmond.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Cazrichmond »

I really loved this book. I agree with you that the author does a great job in illustrating the land of Voulhire. Great review 😊
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The consequence of deception by Clarissa nightingale

Post by Elvis Best »

The books in this series sound very exciting. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Ellylion wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 05:01 I agree, Tysz always manages to create profound and engaging characters :) Thanks for a great review!
I agree with you. Personally, I find myself drawn by his style of narrating
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 09:44 I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful. Good job and thanks for your recommendation.
Thanks Vic, I appreciate it. Do give it a chance some time if you haven't already, I'm certain you'll love it
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

LuciusM wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 13:32 After starting with the second installation of this exciting series, I am currently reading this book. Reading through has made me plan to finish it as Soon as possible. Great work!
Wow, I hope you were able to follow along with the story. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the book as much as I did. Thanks LuciusM
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

rahilshajahan wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 16:18 The book was an awesome opener to the series. I am looking forward to reading the second installment. Thanks for an insightful review!
So far I must say I love the groundwork that he has established for this series. I have high expectations for it. Thanks Rahilshajahan
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Cazrichmond wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 18:15 I really loved this book. I agree with you that the author does a great job in illustrating the land of Voulhire. Great review 😊
His world building is amazing Cazrichmond. I'm glad that we have a common appreciation for that aspect. Thank you
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Elvis Best wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 16:52 The books in this series sound very exciting. Great review!
I'm really stoked for this Elvis! You should dig in whenever you can too, I'm sure it'll be worth your while. Thanks for stopping by
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I loved the cities as well! They were so unique and perfectly portrayed the diversity of the kingdom. It's a shame you found the book a bit slow at times because I wouldn't have complained if the author gave us even more detail on the world.

Thank you for the review!
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

azidy wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 14:29 I loved the cities as well! They were so unique and perfectly portrayed the diversity of the kingdom. It's a shame you found the book a bit slow at times because I wouldn't have complained if the author gave us even more detail on the world.

Thank you for the review!
For me, that was the strength of the book. Matthew's creation of a world you can get lost exploring and discovering unique aspects about them, which was fascinating for me. Also, I like that you loved reading it that much. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”