Review by david isaji -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Isaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-isaji.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by david isaji -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

Post by David Isaji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen’s eagerness to help his friend, Demetrius, to find a solution for his predicaments with the Eiodi prompts him to make a trip to Soulhire. They set out for Soulhire, Voulhire’s capitol, with the hope of getting an audience with the king. While they were in the capitol, powerful enemies of Voulhire invaded the city. King Wilhelm gets killed in that invasion. Darius, king Wilhelm’s son, is not ready to assume the throne. Nartik, under the decree of the Mianoran council, assumes the throne. Nartik was one of the advisors of King Wilhelm. How does the kingdom survive all this darkness that is surrounding it?

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is the third installment of the phenomenal We are Voulhire series authored by Matthew Tysz.

This epic fantasy story is smartly plotted and creatively written. It is well detailed and continues to throw us deep into the kingdom of Voulhire as the protagonist is still trying to learn more about this complicated place. It is also an extraordinary work, and would perfectly fit on the bookshelves of any fantasy fanatic. This is a promising continuation of what is already a thrilling series that will have most readers on the edge of their seats while brooding with anticipation.

The characters in this book drew me in, keeping things fresh and interesting. The story is presented from the viewpoint of different characters, and they all evolve in ways that feel real. Each of those viewpoints was unique, engaging, fast-paced, and full of plot-driving action. Each plot point was tied into an event that supplements the development of the characters, and that’s something I always cherish when reading fantasy.

There are other aspects of Matthew Tysz's body of work that elevate his writing beyond just the story. There's his cadence in writing; steady prose that offers a stable blend of meter, description and dialogue. Another aspect is the writing. His portrayal of this twisted accounts is described vividly. One can easily create clear mental pictures.

This book has everything I always look for in a fantasy novel. It has a great cast and a dark, morally ambiguous story. The pacing grabbed me and did not let go, racing from one situation to the other. There is nothing I did not like about it. Unlike the other books in this series, there was a step up in the editing. There were a few grammatical errors, but they did not affect the coherent flow of the story. With that mentioned, I give this novel a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of dark fantasy. There is the use of profane language, so it is not commendable to kids

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”