Review by NGM15 T+ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NGM15 T+
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngm15-t.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Review by NGM15 T+ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by NGM15 T+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Mathew Tysz is a thrilling suspense novel filled with adventure and magic which are set in the medieval and modern fantasy. The author starts the story by introducing the protagonist Galen Bray who had just found an opportunity to escape from his motherland known as Lands of the Princess, which was characterized only by war for years. His uncle Onita Bray who left Lands of the Princes for Voulhire before Galen was born had left his business, money, and a house for Galen before he died. Galen arrived in Magnum Caelum one of Voulhire’s cities just after the death and burial of his uncle. The mayor and the executor handed over the assets and money to Galen upon his arrival. A series of captivating and complex events unfolded after the handover as Galen attempts to resuscitate his uncle’s business with the help of the executor.

Voulhire, ruled by King Wilhelm is a kingdom with dark politics and cities characterized by different economic possibilities ranging from mining, fishing, trade, and agriculture. Following a leadership crisis in Hillport the Voulhirian coast where most of the seafood for Voulhire came from, King Wilhelm sent the new lord Eldus Alderman. His major role was to bring prosperity in this shanty town and foster healing to its traumatized people who had experienced gruesome treatment including child abuse and killings through magic by his two predecessors. By King’s order, Eldus conceals the deepest and darkest secret about the imprisonment of his predecessor Meldorath whom the inhabitants of Hillport are forced to believe is dead. Eldus executes his duties as expected however, his curiosity and quest for answers for his predecessors push him to look for more information which led to his demise. In the end, Meldorath escapes from his prison through the use of his magic powers. During the same time, the rogue group Riva Rohavi raised Hillport to the ground, killing Eldus and his family except for his son who escaped.

This book features the first story in the We are Voulhire series. Looking at the first few pages which include About the author page followed by Lists of other books before the Cover page, I became a bit skeptical about the contents of the book at first. However, when I started reading through the first chapters I became fascinated by the story. The nature in which it was written and richness in the vocabulary was captivating. The writer used the first-person view to plot the storyline which gave him the freedom to narrate the events unequivocally. Each chapter which is named after the characters or nature of events focuses on the particular character or event giving enough room for the reader to follow specific manifestation of events. This also provides the storyline with a sense of motion as the diverse parts evolve independently but converge at the end to accomplish the ultimate goal.

The storyline was created to feature medieval and modern times. However, in modern times, I felt that the author went overboard by featuring workout clothes, gyms, football, and hockey amongst people who were using primitive technology and modes of transportation such as carts. I did not find these things perfectly matching. A great deal of the storyline is devoted to the use of magic where the author was providing the background about its origins, its existence, and its use. There are parts of the story where profane language and violent scenes were used; these might not be appealing to certain types of readers such as children and anyone who do not subscribe to the use of such language. The book didn’t have page numbers written on each page hence tracking your progress is only based on the document automatic pages, it was a bit frustrating.

Even though I mentioned a few concerns above, they do not warrant any sort penalization on the story itself as it was unambiguously plotted only to enthrall the reader and it met its expectation. I am compelled to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not come across any grammatical and typos implying that the author did a great job of professionally editing his work. The storyline shows that the author explicitly did meticulous research regarding magic, medieval times, and forging. I found the storyline quite entrancing and I would recommend it to those fervent in reading fantasy, adventure, magic, war, and medieval stories. Nonetheless, due to the use of profane language and sexual references, I wouldn’t recommend this book to children and any reader who does subscribe to the use of such language.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”