Review by OptimisticNihilist -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guete Zuelo
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guete-zuelo.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Review by OptimisticNihilist -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

Post by Guete Zuelo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the premiere novel of the We are Voulhire series, a young man, embarks on a journey to start anew. Away from the warring Lands of Princes, he hopes to live not only for survival in the kingdom of Voulhire. But little does he know, trouble is brewing in the Golden Age of Voulhire.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy fiction story that introduces a world of magic and biomages. The book narrates of a magical universe, Caromentis, and a physical one, Cosmos. The story kicks off with a warm welcome by a fiery old man telling stories about the magnificent and terrifying kingdom of Voulhire, a place where Galen is heading. Liberated from his homeland by his great-uncle’s wish, he strives to continue his trade through the guidance of his great-uncle’s executor. The story is not limited to Galen as the character you would be following. Though he is my favorite, the author introduces wide array of characters and their gambles to live the best out of their lives.

Page by page, I was thankful to the author for writing such wonderful world to explore. What I liked the most is the Matthew Tysz’s writing style. I was absorbed into the book. His writing style easily made me feel as if I was with Galen in that swaying, unstable boat. I could easily hear the music during the Feast of Human Hands. I was feeling claustrophobic in Odaiamar’s underground tunnels. The premiere novel sets up a richly developed culture, geography, economics, and history of Mr. Tysz’s series.

Among the characters, I was most curious with Galen. I usually don’t resonate with the wide-eyed, but I was attracted to him. Humbled by his life in the Lands of Princes, his kindness makes him rare and the characters around him recognize that. I am looking forward to his character development.

The author’s writing style reminds of a fairytale story. It is descriptive enough to paint the beautiful imageries, yet it remains simple and straightforward. Reading Matthew Tysz’s book reminds me of George R.R. Martin. The two are comparable not by their choice of words but by their worldbuilding. Both introduced multiple characters in different settings and each with their own fight. Stories within a story is satisfying to readers who want to explore. And the stark contrast between the two authors is that Matthew Tysz’s book does not have any erotic scene.

Finally, calling the attention of fantasy fiction fanatics! This book and the series it preludes are a good consumption to you. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well-edited with no occasional typos or grammatical errors. I have nothing I disliked in the book. The author may have failed to number the pages and instead of numbers, the chapters were marked with titles, it does not diminish the book’s quality. The book contains only 151 pages, so for those who want a quick read, this is the book for you.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”