Review by Saketjha -- The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saketjha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saketjha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Saketjha -- The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by Saketjha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Decision" by Michael D. Komeshak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We can only guess how our first encounter with alien beings would turn out. In this science-fiction rather philosophical novel by Michael D. Komeshak an alien spaceship lands in New York. A couple of days later an alien named Micah gives a speech at the UN about how they want to help humanity through the next stage of our evolution. The Next day, 13 men/women (6 UN diplomats while 7 civilians) from different countries are picked up by the US military and flown to Hawaii because of a special request by the aliens to meet them.

The Plan is to have a discussion and meeting with the alien named Micah for a maximum of 3 days about the problems faced by humanity and a chance to eradicate them. They are given difficult choices and a limited amount of time to decide the fate of the word while not knowing anything about the aliens or their motivations and plan. And if they fail to make a decision, aliens would leave them and they won’t know the answers or what was awaiting them.

We follow our protagonist Jason (one of the 13) who was taken to Hawaii with his girlfriend Sarah. While this book is written in the third person, we mostly see from the perspective of Jason, although we also follow Sarah for some time.

This is a thought-provoking book that puts you in the shoes of Jason and makes you uncomfortable and makes you question your beliefs and ethics. What are you willing to do to ensure the survival of human species? Will progression and survival after that really be better and worth it? Basically, how does one decide the fate of the world?

The Decision is surely a very entertaining and thought-provoking read. I literally had to tell myself to not overthink a lot about what would I say and do but simply read. There is always a sense of mystery to the story and characters. Like why actually these individuals were chosen? Why would these aliens help us or what do they actually want? What will Micah tell them to do the next day? And of course, what will the group decide?

This mystery was one of my favorite things in the book. While some mystery paid off satisfactorily, a few were kind of lame. I also liked how the thought of Jason was shown. But Overall, The Moral dilemma faced by the characters and the philosophical aspect of the book was my favorite part.

My least favorite aspect was how few of the characters lacked depth. Characters said outright stupid things and their convictions had less to none motivations and reason. Although people from around the world debating are a hard thing to pull off and the author did a fair job, more character work was needed. Another thing I didn’t like was how the protagonist wasn’t focusing much on the discussion and decisions but was more worried about how his girlfriend and dogs are doing. I was like, dude your dogs are doing fine, go talk to other characters about saving the world. He even once was flirting with one of the 13; you are focusing on the wrong aspect here Jason. Thankfully this wasn’t the problem in the 2nd half.

Even though the ending is bound to be controversial, I am okay with it, kind of even like it.

I didn’t found any grammar errors or spelling mistakes. There may be some errors, but as I didn’t notice they should not be a problem. I wonder though if all the facts stated are true. There is a lot of cursing in the book, so beware of that it may not be suitable for children.

I give The Decision a solid 4 out of 4 stars. Although there are things I didn’t like about the book it perfectly achieved what it was trying to achieve. It’s hard to stop once you start and constantly put your brain to work by testing your morality. It is truly thought-provoking.

I recommend this to sci-fi lovers and all the people who have an interest in philosophy and decision-making. I also recommend it to ‘reading groups and clubs’ as this book is meant to be discussed.

The Decision
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero
2022 Reading Goal: 52
2022 Goal Completion: 21%

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Science fictions are always interesting. I surely want to read this book someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Saketjha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saketjha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Saketjha »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 10:10 Science fictions are always interesting. I surely want to read this book someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”