Review by Jerry Shaphan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jerry Shaphan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-shaphan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Jerry Shaphan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Jerry Shaphan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is an interesting book by Matthew Tysz and is the first in the book series. Galen Bray, the protagonist, is a kind and humble man who lived in a war-torn nation since he was eight years old. Twenty years later, a window opened up for Galen to escape his battle-scarred home when his dying uncle in Voulhire left his inheritance for Galen. Ecstatic about leaving his homeland, Galen hops onto a boat heading to his uncle’s home. Once there, Galen begins learning about the kingdom of Voulhire with the help of his newfound friend, Rowan.

Wilhelm Arcolo, the king of Voulhire, is a modest man who is affectionate towards the people of his kingdom. He seeks to protect Voulhire from the enemies of the kingdom among them the Riva Rohavi, a group of people who are against the prosperity of Voulhire, who conduct constant attacks on the people of Voulhire. The second among the enemies is Dalehei Meldorath, the retired general, who everyone, including the king himself and the Riva Rohavi, fears to even mention his name. Meldorath wants to use the physical world to tap into the magical realm and take control of it. He conducted illegal experiments with magic but the King found out, locked him up, placing him under heavy guard and told the fearful people of Voulhire that Meldorath was dead but little did they know what awaited them.

The book is a slow-paced one but offers a great story as the reader is introduced to the various places in the kingdom of Voulhire. It is not action-packed since it is the first book and therefore only involves the readers familiarizing themselves with the characters. Despite this, there are still quite a lot of things I enjoyed in the book. I loved the author's wonderful descriptive skills that offered imagery of what the characters and the places in the book looked like. I also love that the author makes the characters relatable in terms of their personalities.

I find the carefully woven world that the author has created to be fascinating: a world that also involves magic. I love that the author includes a map of the fantastic world that he has created, that pinpoints the position of the towns and the water bodies. I greatly enjoyed the book and found nothing that I did not like.

This is a book that will leave readers yearning for more. The storyline that the readers are introduced to is an immersive one and thus I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. There are a number of profane words used which may be disturbing to some readers. Those who enjoy fiction books will definitely want to dive into this book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”