Review by tafta -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by tafta -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by tafta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a Sci-fi fiction book tracing Galen Bray's journey from the war torn Land of the Princes setting him up with his inheritance left to him by his uncle in Voulhire. Voulhire is a land of peace under the governance of King Wilhelm Arcolo. The land's threat to peace is the Riva Rohavi who are planning their next attack while solving their domestic issues. It is also a land that has interactions with Caromentis a world that exists alongside the physical Cosmos. The interactions are evidenced by mages, telemages, bawlers, imbuers and bio-imbuers who poses abilities that go beyond those of humans. In Hillport, Voulhire a new Lord is assigned to govern the fishing town and develop it. The new Lord Eldus must erase the memory of the previous Lords in order achieve his set targets. He finds out that the town of Hillport and its citizens are spooked and live under great fear of Lord Meldorath his predecessor. This mage Lord who practices sorcery is imprisoned in a castle heavily guarded outside Hillport. A rumour is spread that he is dead, but the townspeople know better. While Galen gathers his material to ply his newly inherited trade as a blacksmith complete with an imbuer monk, Lord Eldus works on developing Hillport oblivious of the lurking evil plans of Lord Meldorath. Information is leaked to the Riva of the unprotected, developing Hillport and they attack the town soon after Meldorath mysteriously communicates to Lord Eldus that he would be killed. Meldorath frees himself with much drama and destroys the guard, then, he sets himself back in Hillport Castle.

This is a book with an extraordinary story. It is set in historic times where travel was on horses, and battle was with spears and swords. I enjoyed the story build-up. There is suspense built by the author in doses that carry it throughout the book. It moves several plots that are brought together at the climax of the book. I expected to be reading about strange-looking creatures in the book but I was taken on a journey where there are mortals who as the story progresses begin to meddle in the supernatural. Telemages who can relay messages mentally to each other while being miles apart. Bawlers who can appear and disappear at different places. Bio-imbuers that can manipulate one's body to do whatsoever they wish. It is all such a fascinating evidence of the author's imagination. Then there is the final battle when Meldorath frees himself. Inclusion of elements the wind, the water, the book becomes what I could term 'fully-fledged sci-fi'. I found the ending very befitting and well written.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a book of medium pace. Anyone can enjoy the story if they are not of a nervous disposition. It does have some 'spooky' moments when I found myself taken aback by the occurrences, for example, mysterious writings appearing to ordinary people. Some people seeing things in the dark or having strange dreams. I, therefore, would not recommend the book to young children.

What I liked about the book is the storyline. It is very easy to follow and very carefully laid out. The author did mention having written the story with love in the introduction. I think that is evidenced in the book. I especially liked the build-up on Meldorath heralding the fearsome sorcerer. When he finally appears, the force of it all lives up to the image created. The outcome was on point. I certainly like that the author delivered on his promise at the end of the book. Many authors disappoint readers.

I will honestly say I was thoroughly enjoying reading the book, I did not find anything to dislike. There is minimal profanity. There are no typing errors that I noticed while reading. The book was professionally edited and the read was smooth. In that light, I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars for an excellent read. It is the first book of a series but the author does manage to make it a complete book. It is not a very long book so those that would like to sample a sci-fi book can easily do so. Those already enjoying the genre this is a must add to your library.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”