Review by Olabode Joshua -- We are Voulhire: The Fires o...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Review by Olabode Joshua -- We are Voulhire: The Fires o...

Post by Olabode Joshua »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen and his friends were on an important mission in Virko when they met an old friend of Demetrius who told them that the gravely ill lord Venden could help them acquire the resources they were in need of. Hearing this, they promptly paid him a visit. Despite his rapidly deteriorating health, lord Venden welcomed them and promised to give them what they wanted in exchange for cleansing his home of its darkness: a condition caused by the presence of demons.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book in the We are Voulhire series. This book brings the city of Virko into focus. Virko is the industrial heartland of Voulhire. Before it was founded by lord Venden, the Virken plains used to be a barren place where no one saw any potential. However, under lord Venden's supervision, Virko progressed from obscurity to become the industrial capital of Voulhire.

Matthew Tysz made sure this book answered some of the questions asked in the first instalment. However, it ended up being much more suspenseful than the first. The book also contained a new concept known as Alitheia. It was introduced in the following passage:
“The spirituality of man is clouded by matters of the physical world. The physical world bends to magic. Therefore, magic oppresses the flesh, and the flesh oppresses the spirit. And so, to complete the circle, there must have been some undiscovered way in which the spirit could take hold over magic.” The “undiscovered way” is Alithesis, which means harnessing the power of Alitheia.

I liked the introduction of Sod and his demon army. It made the story thrilling enough to keep me engaged. In fact, I'm eager to know what will become of him in the next book. I also liked the way the author narrated the story. He changed the point of view often enough to give the story some spontaneity. I enjoyed this book due to its philosophical content. It gave me something to think about. All in all, this book smacks of originality and exceptional creativity.

However, I disliked the notion of homosexuality in this book as it seemed to imply that women are only useful for childbearing. I also got the impression that the author intentionally used some elements of homosexuality in order to attract readers from that demographic.

In light of this book's awesomeness, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars because it was professionally edited and also measured up to the standard required for a full rating. Nevertheless, I found one error in the book. I didn't rate this book lower because there was no reason to do so.

However, this book contains a good amount of profane and vulgar language. Therefore, it is unsuitable for children. It does not contain any form of eroticism, but it contains depictions of violence. This book will excite lovers of mystical and supernatural stuff.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

His book is anywhere in OBC. I'm very intrigued because of this hype. Thanks for your very persuading review!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like Virko's progression from obscurity to a vibrant industrialized town, under visionary leadership. Legacies are made of this. Thanks for the thoroughly insightful review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Alithesis; that's an interesting concept. Good review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

After reading this review, I think I have to check out this book. Good job, Olabode.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I personally enjoyed the suspense that characterizes this book. Great review. 💫
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I loved this book when I reviewed it too. It's a great follow up to the first book.
Great review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Kola+wole wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 16:05 Alithesis; that's an interesting concept. Good review.
Indeed it is. I'm looking forward to your review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

You have a nice review Joshua. I recently read this book and it was very interesting and more action packed than the other books.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

How come I've not read any book in this series? Thanks so much for your detailed review and recommendation. Good job!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I have read the book and I think the review is perfect. Keep up the good work.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

I'm currently reading the first book of the series. Although it's a bit sexist, I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I want to see a war between the Riva Rohavi and Sod's demon army. The Riva can dance and the demons... well, I haven't read the second book yet. Thanks for an awesome review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

I will be looking forward to reading this second installment in the sequel. I read the first I found it quite interesting. It's great to see that you have it rated 4. I Will definitely read it.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I just finished reading the first part of We are Voulhire and was really enjoying it. I think I am going to continue with this one, it sounds like it is worth it. Thanks for your insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”