Review by Nonny2208 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Going back twenty five years with a Paranormal Twist. by Julian Black.

Review by Nonny2208 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Nonny2208 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever fantasized about discovering something extraordinary that will change your life? Well, I have and just the thought of it being possible gives a very thrilling feeling. Galen Bray from The Lands of the Princes was fortunate enough to experience this fantasy come through.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a sci-fi/fantasy based novel containing 151 pages. It is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. The war and magical tales along with the conspiracies and twists contained in this book makes the storyline very thrilling.

The book’s plot begins in the Lands of the Princes, and the story of the emperor and his sons is given in the first-person narrative by Galen Bray. The Lands of the Princes have been wrought with intense war for over 20 years by four princes who battled for supremacy. Galen's story throughout the book is written in the first-person narrative while other parts are written in the third-person narrative. Galen Bray leaves The Lands of the Princes for the city of Magnum Caelum situated in the Kingdom of Voulhire. He embarks on this journey after discovering that he had an uncle who was a blacksmith in Voulhire. His uncle also left him his estate after passing away. The Kingdom of Voulhire unlike The Lands of the Princes is a magical place filled with success and possibilities. It is ruled by King Wilhelm Arcolo. Galen arrives at Voulhire and with the help of Rowan begins to settle in. Soon he discovers that underneath the façade of greatness, good, and success lies evil, deceit, and conspiracies. Read this book to find out what goes on in the Kingdom of Voulhire, and what role Galen Bray plays in this magical kingdom.

I must commend the author of this book for doing a very great job. After reading the first book in this series, I’m eager to see what the author has in store for the readers in the remaining books in the series. The book was very compelling, it contained breathtaking suspenseful scenes and surprising twists. I enjoyed the dark nature of the magic in the book along with the evil lurking in the shadows. From the moment I started reading this book to the moment I finished it I was never bored. The author was able to incorporate politics, magic, and war into an alternate world filled with adventure. I also loved how the author kept me guessing, it made me more eager to read the book. I kept wondering what would happen to the stone, and if Galen would be betrayed by Rowan. The political state of Voulhire was something that also intrigued me. Normally, I don’t enjoy any form of political tales, but I found myself deeply engulfed in the political workings of the Voulhire court. I was very eager to know what enemies disguised as friends King Wilhelm had.

The book’s structuring was okay but I felt that the author should have included chapters and page numbers to make it more organized. The book’s plot was well-paced and the main story unfolded in a smooth and slow manner. The book contained major and minor characters that were well-developed with the exception of the character, Galen Bray. I felt that the development of this particular character was a bit flawed. I loved how the author introduced him as an innocent and sweet minded boy; I expected him to toughen up as the story unfolded but that never happened. With the role Galen played in the story I felt that the author should have developed him into someone stronger, tougher, and maybe a little bit darker.

Above all, this book was exceptionally written. The author’s use of words was superb and the plot was very realistic. The book contained very interesting characters of which Rowan was my favorite. I enjoyed his jokes and loved his dedication to Galen. I didn’t find any grammatical error which shows that the book was professionally edited, so I’m rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was devoid of strong sexual content, there were only mild sexual references made in the book. However, it contained profane languages and a few violent scenes. I recommend this book to lovers of magical stories, but I strongly advise that children should stay away due to the profanity contained in the book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

Yah, Rowen was my favorite character too. His jocks made the book lively. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”