Review by Swervie -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swervie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swervie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Swervie -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Swervie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel that is about the kingdom of Voulhire. It serves as the first book in the series and left many questions answered. The fictional nation of Voulhire is ruled by a king whose name was Wilhelm. Whereas, in other nearby lands there is a nation ruled by a wicked king who was known as the emperor of lullabies. He had four sons whom he separated unto four islands which they called the Land of Princes, to avoid them conspiring against him. Those sons start a war with one another that lasted twenty years.

Devastated by war many persons escaped one of them was Galen Bray, the protagonist of the novel, he travelled to Voulhire to inherit his uncle’s fortune. Galen begins to feel right at home. However, he is still trying to cope with the unfamiliarity of the environment. Meanwhile, King Wilhelm has to deal with the corruption in the Mianoran Council which governs the Mianoran Knights. Midius Maido, the First Knight of Voulhire, and King Wilhelm disliked each other and always had conflict with one another.

I liked the way the author started with the history of the lands and a map. It made it easier to follow the layout as the characters travelled. I enjoyed this book mostly because of my love of medieval writing and themes. I also liked that the characters were thoroughly developed which helped me familiarize myself with all the characters. Each chapter also had a heading so that I understood which character the chapter was focusing. The action was entertaining and kept me in suspense which I love.

The book started too slow. It had various scenes with different perspectives, the development of the characters also seemed slow it took some time without anything happening. The book was also confusing. There were some made up imaginative words that became frustrating when you had to stop reading when you are engulfed in the story to find out the meaning of these words. There were more sexual scenes than magical. There was extreme violence and strong language content.

Overall, the book is beautifully written and exceptionally well-edited. I am rating this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it works best as a promising introduction to the series rather than a stand-alone work. Although not necessarily groundbreaking for the genre, it’s perfecting serviceable and fully-realized, and thus comes highly recommended for any readers willing to delve into an exciting new fantasy. Would not recommend it to persons who are offended by these strong sexual scenes and language content. The audience for this book would be anyone looking for books that are medieval or fantasy.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”