Official Review: The Other by Matthew Buscemi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yolimari
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolimari.html
Latest Review: You, nature, and a book with words of Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi (Author), Ahmad Alandalucy (Author, Editor, Translator)

Official Review: The Other by Matthew Buscemi

Post by Yolimari »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other" by Matthew Buscemi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two civilizations live on the planet Asura. The Pinnacle is the country that covers most of Asura's surface and the home to the nanite-bodied, superior technological beings that took power over a century ago. The Reclamation is the country where the surviving humans live behind immense walls. There has been no contact between the Pinnacle and the Reclamation for more than one hundred years. Everything changes when one of the slabs of the Reclamation's walls turns into a boy amid an election cycle between the rival political parties named Guardian and Reconciliation. Charles is not just a boy, and he only wants to talk to Dr. Sahaan Ekeer, the Senior Consul to the president of the Reclamation.

Who is Charles? What does he want? Who will win the election when the Reclamation's future is a stake? Will the nanite-bodied invade the Reclamation? Will Sahaan be able to establish amicable relations with the Pinnacle?

The Other, written by Matthew Buscemi, is an exciting science fiction novel full of political elements. Buscemi's writing is fast-paced and straightforward. American contemporary domestic and international affairs inspired the world-building of the Reclamation, the Pinnacle, and their political parties. The story is told from the third-person point of view, focusing on the events and political dynamics after Charles' arrival to the Reclamation. The book has lots of dialogue that is mostly between Charles and Sahaan, the main characters of the book.

My favorite aspect of the book is how Buscemi imagined a futuristic planet with a clash of civilizations basing its conflicts on the United States' contemporary issues. The concept of walls for the security and survival of the humans in Asura is a clear allusion to the current administration's expansion of the wall on the United States' southern border with Mexico. The extreme divide between the two main political parties of the Reclamation—Guardian and Reconciliation—is similar to the current problems between the Republican and Democratic parties.

I also found it fascinating how Buscemi explores the idea of the other in this story. Scholars study the concept of the other to understand why civilizations tend to go against each other in history. The conversations between Charles and Sahaan represent this exploration of the other. Charles and Sahaan discuss the history of their countries in the past century and their respective political parties, lifestyles, environments, technological advances, reading habits, among other things. What is more important is that they talk about their fears. Do the nanite-bodied want to invade the humans? Are humans going to expand their walls? This fear of annihilation and extinction colors the history pages of humanity.

I rate The Other by Matthew Buscemi 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed thinking about the similarities between the problems of Asura's two distinct civilizations and the contemporary issues in the United States. Besides, Buscemi maintains objectivity, which is becoming rare, while also proposing an alternative solution. I only found a handful of grammatical errors that can be fixed quickly, so a professional editor reviewed this book. I recommend it to adult and young adult fans of science fiction who like stories with political parallels to the present.

The Other
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

This sounds like an impressive story! I'm particularly intrigued by the way the themes of (current) politics in a YA sci-fi book. Is the characterization good in this novel? I tend to find that especially important. :) Thanks very much for the interesting review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Nice review.
Live and let live, baby.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Darker Than You Think
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Breakthrough Overthinking Method by Mark Howards
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by NetMassimo »

The story's allegorical aspect makes this novel intriguing, and everything else seems well developed. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Political sci-fi fantasy, the imagination will be wild and I will Love it.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Sometimes I am unable to follow sci-fi fantasy stories. I will pass on this one. Nice review.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Saketjha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saketjha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Saketjha »

Sounds like attack on titans. I probably won't read it because of my less interest in politics. Great review though.
Yolimari
Latest Review: You, nature, and a book with words of Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi (Author), Ahmad Alandalucy (Author, Editor, Translator)

Post by Yolimari »

NDeMeer wrote: ↑16 Aug 2020, 03:21 This sounds like an impressive story! I'm particularly intrigued by the way the themes of (current) politics in a YA sci-fi book. Is the characterization good in this novel? I tend to find that especially important. :) Thanks very much for the interesting review!
Buscemi uses flashbacks to develop the main characters, Sahaan and Charles. Thank you for reading and commenting! :tiphat:
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yolimari

Post by Yolimari »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: ↑16 Aug 2020, 06:48 Nice review.
Thanks! :tiphat:

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yolimari

Post by Yolimari »

NetMassimo wrote: ↑16 Aug 2020, 10:59 The story's allegorical aspect makes this novel intriguing, and everything else seems well developed. Thank you for your great review!
That allegorical aspect is what I liked the most, particularly because of his objectivity. Thanks for reading and commenting! :tiphat:

-Gabriel García Márquez
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Sounds like an intriguing book on science fiction mixed with politics. Nice review.
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

I can imagine Politics in a fictional world. This really sounds like an awesome read. Thanks for the Review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Prophecy of the Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla
2022 Reading Goal: 8
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This novel is clearly filled with rich world-building and interesting parallels to the current contemporary issues in the United States. The concept of "the Other" in trying to understand why nations clash is very interesting. Thanks for the through and honest review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Political science fiction? I don't know, but I'm interested.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

With Charles emerging from the Reclamation's walls when elections are just around the corner, what he and Sahaan talk about must be related to the elections.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”