Review by CassieLHuff -- Project Tau by Jude Austin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CassieLHuff
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassielhuff.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by CassieLHuff -- Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by CassieLHuff »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you enjoy fast paced sci-fi novels, I highly recommend Project Tau by Jude Austin. This adventure is set in the year 3391 on multiple planets and a space station. On the planet Basarr, computer nerd Kalin Taylor has just started college. Kalin is hoping to be a little more popular here than he was on his home planet of Trandellia and decides to try to join the coolest frat on campus. For his initiation, he is challenged to go to the nearby science compound and take a picture of the clone, Project Tau. Kalin is caught in this top secret building and his future is forever changed.

This 3rd person narrative, follows the journey of Project Kata and Project Tau. Projects are clones that have been created either for military purposes or to be laborers. Project Kata is newer to the facility than Tau and they become fast allies. Tau explains how things work at the compound while Kata teaches Tau about life outside. The science facility is in charge of the clones’ training before they are sold to buyers. Kata quickly learns that training includes pain acclimation and one of the scientists, Dennison seems especially sadistic. Another scientist, Renfield realizes something isn’t quite what it seems and starts investigating. With a little guidance from unknown friends, Projects Tau and Kata devise an escape plan.

There was so much that I loved about this book! From the very first sentence, “Project Tau has escaped” I was hooked. I really enjoyed how the prologue was set 2 years before the main action. The story comes full circle, and you get to see how the main characters ended up there. This novel also had a couple of thought provoking themes such as clones having human rights and discrimination.

There wasn’t anything that I disliked about this book. The only thing that was a little different for me, was there were a fair amount of British idioms that I wasn’t familiar with. Such as, the terms twigged, gobsmacked and Sod’s law. However, it was very simple to look these up and from the text it is also easy to infer their meaning.

There is quite a lot of profanity throughout this novel, which in my opinion enhanced the story, but may not be for people who don’t enjoy such colorful language. There aren’t any erotic scenes in this book but there is a very brief allusion to sexual assault. I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is extremely well edited, has a great plot and very dynamic characters. I can’t wait to read the sequel!

Project Tau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”