Review by iknwuzoh -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by iknwuzoh -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by iknwuzoh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy book that talks about Voulhire, whose capital was Soulhire. The Emperor of Lullabies had 4 sons and he decided to share his empire among them. One of the 4 sons was Galen, who boarded a ship to Voulhire, with King Wilhelm as King of Voulhire, to inherit property from his uncle. He met Rowan and worked together to revitalize Voulhire. Lord Eldus was the Lord of Hillport, Lord Orlin and General Meldorath were power-hungry.

What I liked most about the book was the map in the beginning of the book. The map explained places in the book, for a faster comprehension of the story. However what I disliked most about the book was the ambiguous introduction of various characters. I think the author should have compiled a character list in the beginning of the book, to illustrate which character is which, and make the book a simpler read. Nevertheless, I will commend the author for writing such a fantasy story.

This book reflects on the monarchy system of today's society, where there are people who want power, not because they will do something for society. People like General Meldorath and Lord Orlin are such characters in this book. This reminds me of the British monarchy system of kings and queens that flourished before advent of modern governance.

This book is meant for travellers and migrants, people who want to venture to other places, different from their place. Galen, was such a traveller. This book is full of magic, so you will have to skip this one if you are not fond of magic or if you don't read about magic. The author's introduction of various characters at critical points in the book made it a complex read, but his ability to tell a story revolving round a monarchy system is commendable. The quest for power, and abuse of political power abounds in the book. The monarchy system in this book is closer to the senatorial system, where certain cabinet members have the power to decide the legitimacy of the next king.

There were very negligible typos and grammatical errors in the book, so I will say that the book is professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars since it is professionally edited. I recommend it for travellers, those fond of reading fantasy stories and about monarchies.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”