Review by Jeff Kanda -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeff Kanda
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Review by Jeff Kanda -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Jeff Kanda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder, massive plunder and treachery are some of the thematic concerns that I encountered while reading We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz. The presence of mages such as Dalehei Meldorath and the belief of the existence of Caromentis made the book fictional. The author used several characters from Alcovia, Yamon Soul, Hillport, Magnum Caelum, Virko and other different places to bring out the descriptions of Voulhire.

At the beginning of the book, Galen Bray is moving from The Lands of The Princess to Voulhire to inherit the property of his uncle, Galen Onita, who used to live in Magnum Caelum before he died. Galen Onita was a craftsman. On his arrival to Magnum Caelum, he meets Rowan who was his uncle's executor. They go to some places in Voulhire together and Galen Bray notices the great difference between Voulhire and his former war-torn home. The book also has details of King Wilhelm of Voulhire and Lord Eldus Alderman who is the Lord of Hillport.

The author used the first person's point of view at the parts where Galen Bray was present and the third person's point of view in other parts. I really liked how Matthew Tysz switched the points of view and the vivid descriptions of events. I really appreciate the inclusion of a geographical map at the beginning of the book because it guided me on how the entire Voulhire was. It would have been hard for me to establish the location of various places had the map not been included.

What I disliked in the novel is the presence of too many characters. I had a hard time trying to memorize all of them. I hope that the next book from "We are Voulhire" fantasy series will have fewer characters. I would have liked the book more if it could only have Galen's story from the start to the end. There are many profane words that I think was not really relevant and this makes the book not suitable for young people. I recommend it to all Sci-Fi/Fantasy books lovers who are mature.

Matthew Tysz would not have been able to achieve the optimum thrilling experience had he not greatly used suspense. It made me eager all the time to know the next events as I was reading. I did not find any grammatical errors in the book and I therefore conclude that the book was professionally edited. Despite the few things I disliked about the book mentioned above, I think it will still be fair to give it a rate of four out of four stars because I enjoyed it immensely. Being left at a suspense as I finished reading the book, I will definitely read the other books from "We are Voulhire" fantasy series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Tysz has created a whole lot of places in this wonderful world! It's nice to see he handled the switches in point of view so well. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Thanks for commenting.
Cotwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

I guess the suspense and engaging narration style carries the day. Thanks for a superb review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Cotwani wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 15:50 I guess the suspense and engaging narration style carries the day. Thanks for a superb review!
Indeed. Thanks for passing by and commenting.
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeff Kanda »

NDeMeer wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 14:13 Tysz has created a whole lot of places in this wonderful world! It's nice to see he handled the switches in point of view so well. Thank you for this wonderful review!
I also liked the way Tysz switched the points of view. Thanks for commenting

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”