Review by shravsi -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Losing My Virginity
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by shravsi -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first book in the fantasy series, We are Voulhire written by Matthew Tysz. This book is the reader’s getaway card to enter into the powerful and magnificent land of Voulhire.
In the Land of the Princes, it was death either by the sword or slow starvation; Galen Brey grew up on this land only knowing starvation and fear. Destiny gave him once in a lifetime opportunity to a happier future: entry into Voulhire. This opportunity reached him with great difficulty in the form of a paper, courtesy of his great uncle Galen Onita and his executor Rowan.

The great nation of Voulhire was the epitome of human success. With its mighty capital Soulhire and great cities like Virko, Magnum Caelum, Yamon Soul, Ballerhal, Gallador, Chalethire, Iseron, and other places, Voulhire could be seen as a testament to, “what people can do when they have no excuse to fail”. King Wilhelm Arcolo had even announced that Voulhire had entered its golden age during the eve of the Feast of Human Hands. During such a prosperous time, Galen had the chance to enter Voulhire. Will Galen succeed in his journey? Is Voulhire going to stay in its golden age? Or will it crumble under its own weight?

This book has all the qualities required in a first-book of an upcoming series. The book starts by introducing the Emperor of Lullabies, King Wilhelm, and the great nation Voulhire itself. Describing the new world through Galen’s eyes is such a genius technique: it provides a first-hand account allowing the reader to dive into a new world. The book slowly increases the pace of its drama by introducing main characters such as Midius Maido (head of Mianoran council), Riva Rohavi (an enemy army, growing secretly underground), and Dalehei Meldorath (a mage more powerful than the Eiodi himself), any of whom could destroy entire Voulhire. And it also introduces the characteristics of Voulhire, its cities, and people beautifully.

I did not find any noticeable errors: the book seems to be well-edited. I liked the slow unfolding of the story, as it creates a stable stage for the upcoming books to unfold with a bang. The magic entwined with real human emotions provides a sense of a realistic world, which could be alive in a far galaxy. Shakespearean English sometimes peeks within the story which lends an old-world charm. There is a perfect amount of description of new places and strange customs, which holds the reader’s attention without getting too bored. The cover page is subtle yet provides a depth just like the story itself. There is also a map of Voulhire, which greatly helped while reading. The only suggestion I could give is adding a reference guide at the end the book would benefit the reader. Tysz has already put together this guide for common words, places, and historical matters relevant to the people of Voulhire alphabetically in his blog, which I think would be more helpful within the book itself.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars with all my heart for the above-mentioned reasons. This book is suitable for young adults and adults alike. If you are in pursuit of a great series to indulge your reading soul, look no further than this series: You will not be disappointed.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

The map just illustrated how the book will be great. I got my way around Voulhire kingdom. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”