Review by Yahya Dalal -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yahya Dalal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yahya-dalal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Yahya Dalal -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Yahya Dalal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is an outstanding premier novel to the series, which is said to total 9 books by the end of it. We are taken to the perspective of Galen Bray, who is leaving the chaotic and corrupt lands of the princes in which he grew up. Through his great uncle’s efforts, who is looking for an heir to his forge business, Galen makes his way to the kingdom of Voulhire. A kingdom which is currently flourishing and brings about many opportunities. The prosperous kingdom is new to Galen, and he has much to learn. We are then taken to the perspective of the king of Voulhire, and we see how the kingdom may not be as stable as one may think. We are taken all over the kingdom, introduced to lords, mages, clans, and cults and learn the mysteries of the cosmos and the magic that comes with it.

It creates a true realm of fantasy and is accompanied by a seamless plot, set in a beautifully created world. Everything is thought about to the detail, and we see a true antagonist, although not a very clear protagonist. The writer creates an emotional attachment to some of the characters, and the deaths that take place in the story are especially emotional.

The book is 145 pages long and leaves the reader wanting to read more. By the end of the book, I was on the edge of my seat and I was still shocked by the events that took place earlier in the book. The writer brings about many philosophical and mystical questions, even delving into the topic of God. We also see many similarities with the problems we face in today’s society, to that of Voulhire.

The book is exceptionally flawless, outstandingly written, easy to follow, and easy to understand. I didn’t come across any errors or typos and it seems professionally edited. Imagery and the use of language features are near perfect. The writer's brilliant use of adjectives and his superb descriptions about the oceans and the sky and all the surroundings make for a wonderful image in the reader’s mind. This personally is my favourite part and it makes the story ever more fantastical. I also really liked the use of humour and it made me laugh aloud several times.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 as I thought the writer did a great job of developing the plot and creating a world that can be perfectly imagined. The dialogue in the book was harmonious and it didn’t once feel out-of-place. The book does contain profanity, so I wouldn’t recommend this book to younger audiences. I would specifically recommend this book to readers who enjoy fantasy, and anyone above the age of 12.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”