Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Post by Aithne »

I'm not keen on elves and the usual sword and wand fantasy but pagan, folklore and unusual creature based stuff is all cool. Anything with a new spin to it that I may not have come across.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
Lishytoast
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lishytoast.html

Post by Lishytoast »

I'm not entirely certain that the series I have in mind fits what you want, but it is an amazing and fairly unique fictional world. The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny is a wonderful mix of characters and conflict. I found the rather unique style challenged my previous experience of fantasy/fantasy-sci-fi and left me longing for more.

Also, I'm not sure if you would have read any of Isobelle Carmody but she likewise has some different takes on the fantasy genre such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and various stand-alones.

Good luck finding something you like :)
klickaal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klickaal.html

Post by klickaal »

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. It's a beautiful story and it is one of my all time favorites.
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

I'm not sure if Julian May counts as unusual, but i enjoyed his Boreal Moon Tale Series that begins with a book called the Conqueror's Moon.
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
IsisSimoriah

Post by IsisSimoriah »

I'm not sure if it's what you're wanting or not, but I just finished the book Enchantment, book one of The Channie Series. The first book is free on Amazon. It's about mages, but not really with wands. It's a modern YA Paranormal Romance that follows a young girl as she leaves her mage town in Arkansas and moves across the country to suburban Colorado. The reviews on Amazon were all pretty positive, so I read it. I don't have anything bad to say about it. It's hard to put down, and though it is part of a series, it did not end on a cliffhanger.
audreyrose

Post by audreyrose »

The Liveship Traders series by Robin Hobb. It's actually called a high fantasy, on the high seas :-) Theres magic but not an overwhelming amount, wonderful adventure- I would recommend it with all of my heart.
If that doesn'e tickle your fancy try The Elenium series by David Eddings- once again- wonderful!
eddas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddas.html

Post by eddas »

I would recommend the Emberverse series by SM Stirling and The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

The Emberverse series follows different groups of people in western Oregon after "The Change" a worldwide event that started with a flash of light and made it to where electricity doesn't work anymore, nor gunpowder or any kind of fast combustion.One of the groups of survivors if founded around a Wiccan coven.
Its a great series dealing with how people react to having modern knowledge but 1400's level technology.

The Dresden Files has a lot of mythology and folklore, mostly celtic, but some germanic later on, it follows the wizard/detective in modern day Chicago.
mimf47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimf47.html

Post by mimf47 »

I like Terry Brooks Shannara Series, but they are about a sword, magic, druids, elves, etc., so you may not care for them so much. But he has one titled Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold, that is quite different. You might also check out C.S. Lewis' Perelandra Series which is about one man's journey to a new planet (Perelandra). It has been awhile since I read all these, and I've forgotten a good bit, so I can't tell you much about them without rereading. But I do remember that I enjoyed them.
Spadille

Post by Spadille »

I came across the Dragon Kin series about 6 months ago... I have consumed every book by the author since then. I am impressed by the author's ability to show both male and female characters who are truly strong (this also includes mental/emotional strength) and are intelligent, brave and brutal. The 'action sequences', play out marvelously in my head and the fact that the stories are somewhat linked just allow me to visualize the world the author wanted perfectly.

Author: G.A. Aiken
MiaeCook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miaecook.html

Post by MiaeCook »

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman fits into that unusual creature bit. Well, it fits in the sense that it takes the familiar (and perhaps overused) concept of dragons and puts its own unique spin on it. I loved nearly every moment of it, and it takes you deep into the protagonist's mind, sometimes very literally, while at the same time keeping you hooked on the twists and turns of the plot.

Another good one is Spirit's Princess by Esther Friesner, which is based on Japanese mythology and did a wonderful job of pulling me into third-century Japan and bringing the setting to life. I couldn't put it down!
I recommend both of these.
nowanico2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nowanico2403.html

Post by nowanico2403 »

The Shifters series by Rachel Vincent are phenomenal books which combine the perfect balance of paranormal, fantasy, romance and action. Werewolf books are common, but Werecats, are sexy, mysterious and each book adds another twist to the story making the reader eager to get their hands on the next copy.
KatsReviews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsreviews.html

Post by KatsReviews »

I would say Seraphina by Rachel Hartman as well. It is set in a fantasy world well dragons and humans live alongside each other. It is unusual as it sort of a cross between fantasy, historical fiction and political fiction. I really loved the setting in this book as it feels alive and immerses you into the world. There is a lot that is based on relationships but it isn't overwhelming. A really great read
BNIQU321

Post by BNIQU321 »

Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey Series is a good series if you are looking for something unusual and different to to read. It is about the Fey world and how it intertwines with the human world. I feel that after you read the first book, Iron King, you won't be able to stop reading it. It is not a completed series as the ninth book has just come out.

HAPPY READING!!!! :mrgreen:
Cejay120

Post by Cejay120 »

I would definitely recommend Kresley Cole Immortals After Dark series. It's filled with all sorts of creatures from werewolves to demons. It's an adult series and has so many spins and twists, it breaks away from the princess fairies and evil wizard. It takes a darker and cool approach to folklore tales. i've bought all the books. It's an amazing series.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

If you are into folklore/mythology type books, I would strongly recommend both Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Series, which draws on Celtic folklore and Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed Series, which is based on Greek mythology and Homer. Both are great series that I don't think have gotten the acclaim they deserve.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”