Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poly
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Re: Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Post by Poly »

The Scriptlings by Sorin Suciu. It's sort of Discworld meets Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy comic fantasy, but zero swords, zero elves, zero prophecies. I could not put it down.
Indhira_Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

andthemusicfades wrote:Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas is an amazing fantasy. There's magic, but its not your typical Harry Potter-style magic at all. Its more of a dark, demon-world, pagan magic. The main character is an assassin, so there's action, as well as a bit of romance sprinkled throughout. Definitely worth your time, and I believe the last book just came out.
I completely agree! Fantastic series so far and the I like the female lead the best in this series of all the fantasy serieses. Its definitely a worthy read. Its a six book series but only three have come out so far. I am eargerly waiting for the other books in this story
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

urban fantasy-ish with mythology - the Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent is a series about a girl just coming into her powers as a Bean Sidhe (banshee, screams when death is near, can hold a soul in suspension). Second the recommendation for the iron druid chronicles. Good Omens (Terry Prachett & Neil Gaimen)

Alternate world: Jim Butcher's Codex Alera Novels. Any of Anne Bishop's books. The Others has replaced Black Jewel series as my favorite world ever but all of her worlds are amazing. Parasol Protectorate (very steam-punk-y novels with a main character who is unaffected by supernatural stuff around her)
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks was really good.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
LibbiM
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libbim.html

Post by LibbiM »

The Last Rune series by Mark Anthony. Definitely unusual, brilliantly written, and completely engrossing.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

First of all, I just have to say that this thread is gold. I'll definitely be adding a few books to my reading list!
I also have a few recommendations to add to the list:
The Abhorsen series is definitely one to check out, especially since Nix released a prequel recently (I haven't read it yet but it's supposed to be just as good!)
Daughters of the Moon by Lynne Ewing is a great YA series that I thoroughly enjoy, although the books might be semi-difficult to obtain as about half of them are out of print :(
P.C. Cast's Divine by Mistake creates a stunning world (Partholon)and deals with goddesses as well as vampire-like creatures that are utterly terrifying. Cast's other books would be worth a look as well, this is just my favorite series of hers.
So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane is geared more toward children but the characters travel to many unique and fantastic realms and I think readers of all ages can appreciate the series :)
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
saint 71094
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-71094.html

Post by saint 71094 »

dresden files is a good book series
Sir Readalot
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sir-readalot.html

Post by Sir Readalot »

I strongly recommend these series:
Patrick Rothfuss - The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy (1st book: The Name of the Wind)
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law trilogy (1st book: The Blade Itself)
Scott Lynch - Gentleman bastard trilogy (ongoing) (1st book: The Lies of Locke Lamora)
Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books) (1st book: Gardens of the Moon)
jacobmc

Post by jacobmc »

This may well be a series you're already familiar with or have already read, but 'The Mortal Instruments' came to mind. First book in the series is 'City of Bones'. Written by Cassandra Clare.
Er Perrehnne
Currently Reading: Among Others
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Er Perrehnne »

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay broke my heart. It's excellent.
Jessa24
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... gonsong</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Voices
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessa24.html

Post by Jessa24 »

I'm not sure really what you're looking for but I would highly recommend the Harper Hall Trilogy. The first book is Dragonsong. Its all about dragons and music. Its set in a unique world that I think you might enjoy.
Paperweight
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Paperweight »

I am reading 'Amare:Bloodstreams' by J Gaines. It's kind of an urban fantasy and it's cool because it has a lot of action in it but is equally weighted with a really interesting main character. I don't want to give too much away so without saying anything about storyline ...what is really great is the believability of the main character within a fantasy genre. Would be so interested to hear what other people think about this book and hear other recommendations for similar books.?
WolfGirl1777

Post by WolfGirl1777 »

I recommend "Jekel Loves Hyde". It's a modern twist on the classic "Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". It's about two high schoolers who discover their family heritage is true and use it to their advantage by recreating the original experiments. Until it takes a turn for the worse.
It sounds kind of boring, but it is really exciting and had me at the edge of my seat the whole time. I strongly recommend it.
Wickedcute1

Post by Wickedcute1 »

The Neverending Story was written by a German novelist in 1979. The movie was entertains but the book has so much more depth.
Contrarywise
Zohra Greenhalgh
From back cover - "Contrarywise HIS NAME MEANS MISCHIEF... Rimble, the Trickster, is a merry god - dancing through streets as a gust of leaves, hobbling along canals as an old hag, roaming through gardens as a wiry dog. And where Rimble travels, trouble follows. Trouble of a most peculiar nature. One has to be sanely mad in order to see its method. The residents of Speakinghast, unfortunately, are blind to Rimble's ways. From the Jinnjirri, whose hair changes color to match their moods (and whose gender fluctuates almost as often), to the Tammirring, who listen to the winds of the universe and translate its sigh - not one can see the significance of the Trickster's game. And see it they must, for now his odd pranks are becoming quite dangerous. And definitely deadly..."

I loved this book! Uniquely dark without being macabre.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

C.J. Cherryn's Morgaine Cycle has remained a constant favorite. Many people are familiar with the trilogy but not with the fourth book, Exile's Gate.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”