Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Re: Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Post by ALRyder »

The Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara. She creates a pretty interesting world with quite a few new "creatures". The first book is a bit of a slog to get through, as it should have went through a lot more editing before being published. This is especially unfortunate, because I feel you really should read the first one to understand the rest of the series. You might be able to get away with skipping it, but I wouldn't recommend it. I am so happy i continued onto the next one though. It's now one of my favorite series.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I wasn't thinking before, buy you should definitely read the Black Jewels Series by Ann Bishop. She is an amazing world builder, with a really intricate hierarchy in her books based on power (which is a genetic ability for magic), rank (the individuals classification, which is also pre-determined), and social standing (which is usually to do with money). It is very unique and complex, because for example someone can have a high rank and a lot of power, but still be considered low class, or someone can be high class and elite, but have not very much power. It is also a matriarchal society, and really delves into our treatment of what we see to be the inferior gender, in a really fascinating way.
teddied33
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddied33.html

Post by teddied33 »

You can not go wrong with the 'Iron Druid Chronicles' by Kevin Hearne. The series is funny and action packed. You will never look at your tattooed barista the same way ever again.
LunaMoody
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunamoody.html

Post by LunaMoody »

I highly recommend THREE DAYS TO DEAD by Kelly Meding. It has were every things along side of vampires, trolls, gargoyles, fairies, vampires and more. The action is non-stop. The characters are strong. tough and fun to read about. It's a really good series
samanthaeh76
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaeh76.html
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Post by samanthaeh76 »

I have to second the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Atticus and his dog always have me in stitches. If you aren't a big fan of the sword and sorcery types, and don't mind long books, then I would recommend the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams. I reread that one about once every five years.
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

You might like the Abhorsen series (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix. It's in the young adult genre, but it's not childish...but not as sophisticated as, say, Lord of the Rings. It's got lots of necromancers and zombies that aren't really zombies, as well as a little bit of magic, but not like I'm-waving-my-wand-and-saying-magic-words kind of magic. Nix writes some of the best female lead characters I've read, too. I think that these books make up one of the greatest fantasy series out there, yet so few people have heard of them!
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I will second Abhorsen as a must-read fantasy series. They are very well written and I agree with Anxious Educator that the female leads are stellar. I read them in high school and after this, I really want to find them and read them again. Give them a chance for sure.
arapier
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arapier.html

Post by arapier »

The Prospero's Daughter Trilogy by L Jagi Lamplighter is great. It's urban fantasy with a bunch of mythologies woven in. It's beautifully written and has a great cast of characters.
Intellijock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intellijock.html

Post by Intellijock »

I highly recommend the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. The books are engaging, well-thought-out, well-written, and plentiful.
Sarah1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I loved Stray by Andrea K. Host. Wonderful "other world" creation! Couldn't get enough!
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
tomta20012

Post by tomta20012 »

tree boy

Two nameless angelic children seem to appear from nowhere and change the face of life on earth as we know it.

The children are something beyond what words can describe. Nobody knows who or what they are and even the children themselves struggle to comprehend the events that unfold around them.

The boy instinctively starts to transform into... well... that is a story you must read to believe.
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

I really liked the May book of the month Splintered. Just recently finished the second book Unhinged, and absolutely cannot wait until the third one, Ensnared, comes out in January 2015.

Another book series that I really enjoyed was the Grimm Diaries by Cameron Jace. There are three books: Snow White Sorrow, Cinderella Dressed in Ashes, and Blood, Milk, and Chocolate. He also has small prequels to the three main books, and the prequels go all the way up until 17 I believe.

If you want to know more about Snow White Sorrow and Cinderella Dressed in Ashes, I did write a review on here with the book titles.

If you decide to read these books, I really hope that you enjoy them just as much as I did.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Passion Play by Beth Bernobich was pretty good! It's actually part of a trilogy called River of Souls. It's part historical/ part fantasy.
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by roguexunited »

Have you any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld? He tend to combine fan stay with other genres. They are extremely entertaining, full of fun, and you'll love all the references he makes. My personal favorites are those that follow the witches: Equale Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Maskerade, Lords and Ladies, The Wee Free Men, Hat full of Sky, Wintersmith and I Shall wear Midnight. (I'm not sure if a new one has come out, I've been swamped with school work).

Also if you haven't read The Princess Bride you might light it, it is parody of the genre and the interruptions by the "author" are brilliant.

I you are looking to be more scared then perhaps you should check out John Connolly's The Book of Lost things and his collection of short stories The Nocturnes.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

I would have to agree with Anxious Educator that Garth Nix's Abhorsen series is quite good, though not something you would expect when you here the word fantasy. Also, Terry Pratchett's books in general are unusual, but fun reads.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”